Prologue

Everything is dim and there are thousands of reapers bustling about in the dark dome of death. I look around in awe at all the black architecture and intricate designs.

My dad and I walk on streets made of obsidian as we approach a large, dark stone building. Carved into the stone, letters read, "Hades Council."

We enter the building, where many robed figures sit at a long wooden table. Chandeliers hang from the ceiling and they flicker an orange glow from the candles that produce a dim light.

Their faces are shadowed and all of them look stern.

"It's okay, Donovan. They're not going to hurt you." My dad says, laying a comforting hand on my shoulder.

My dad has been a reaper now for a very long time, and he's been to the Hades council on numerous occasions. As for me, I've never been. I've just turned eighteen so now it is time to register myself as a reaper.

I've been prepared and trained all my life for this moment. I've mastered my dark power and have been told what to expect being a reaper.

Yet, being surrounded by all these strange, cold looking beings makes me a little anxious.

I'm pushed to the center of the room, and all attention falls upon me. Calculating eyes study me for what feels like hours and I feel awkward. "Sooo, are you all just going to stare at me for eternity or are we going to start now?" I ask, my voice breaking the silence.

My dad growls lowly and slightly pushing me. That's his language for shut up.

One of the reapers, who as black hair and black eyes, stands up and approaches me. My dad steps away from me and the reaper walks all the way around me, looking me up and down as he does so.

"Damn," I snicker, "Am I really that hot?"

My dad growls louder. "Quiet, son." He says, his golden eyes aglow.

Shut up, Donovan.

When the reaper is done, he stands in front of me and glares. Clearing his throat, he speaks. "He certainly is ready to serve. I can feel his power radiating off of him already. However, I suggest you punish him for his....behavior. That sort of behavior could get him in trouble in two years from now when he's assigned to reap."

My dad bows his head in respect. "Of course, I'm sorry, sir. I'm sure he will grow out of it, you know how teenagers are."

"Actually," The reaper's lips twitches in annoyance, "I don't. I've never had children nor a lover."

Ah, so that's why he's so miserable. He's alone and-

"Donovan, follow me." The reaper says. I look back at me dad in reassurance.

"Go with him, Donovan." I nod and do as I'm told. The reaper takes me into a dark chamber that's carved of stone. Low drumming sounds in my ears and torches are latched onto the walls.

My eyes dart around, taking everything in. Other reapers with their hoods drawn over their heads walk by, their faces are concealed. When we finally stop in the room, I'm shivering from the cold.

I get that they are death, they don't need to make it feel like death, too.

A little podium sits in the middle of the room, and gathered around the podium, are reapers waiting to witness a new member being sworn in. Most of the reapers look around the ages of twenty-five to thirty, though they are older because they are immortal beings.

I have not finished aging yet, I will stop aging at around twenty-five to twenty-eight.

The reaper commands me to stand on the podium, and I obey. I look around at all their eyes. Everyone stares back with a blank expression.

Except for one.

He has natural dark grey hair and a goofy smile is spread across his face. His eyes are blue and he winks at me. He looks to be around my age.

Weirdo.

"Tonight, we gather to witness a new member being sworn in before us. Donovan, do you hereby swear to the Hades council that you will obey the principles set in place?"

"I do."

"And do you swear that you will uphold the laws before you and agree that you will not fraternize, harass, or disturb and of the reapers here?"

"I do."

"Do you swear to complete your job, whatever it is may be, and do you swear to never make yourself known to the mortal world when on a mission?"

My dad had told me that rule was punishable by eternal death to not only the perpetrator, but also the being the perpetrator revealed themselves to, because exposing the reaper's existence could lead to bad consequences.

Not only that, but for the three months when a reaper is serving, it is really hard to revert back into their physical form. It takes a lot of energy and is nearly impossible. It is also really painful to try and revert back to their physical form because it is forced.

"I do."

The reaper nods his head. "No you will receive the mark of Death. Hold your right hand out for proof of your swearing in today."

I do so, and stick out my right hand, palm down.

The reaper lays a cold hand atop my own hand, and closes his eyes. Soon, a black mist seeps from the pores of his hand. The mist covers my hand completely, and a tingling sensation ripples through my body.

Moments later, the reaper withdraws his hand from mine, and the mist evaporates into thin air. Looking down at me hand, there's now a tattoo of a Cerberus.

"Woah." I say, looking closely at it.

"Roll up the sleeve of your shirt. This one may burn, be prepared." The reaper then commands, his voice stern. I do so, and the reaper lays his hands on my upper arm and closes his eyes once more. The dark mist returns and swarms out of his hands and around my arm.

 My skin feels like it burns and sizzles and I bite my lip to hold in the groan of pain. I squeeze my eyes shut, trying my best to channel the pain elsewhere.

Finally, the reaper pulls his hand away. His cold touch leaves my skin and when the black mist clears away, a tattoo of a half wolf head and half human skull remains. At the base of the tattoo, intricate lines curl about and wraps around my arm.

It's identical to the tattoo my father bears.

I look up into the eyes with awe as realization dawns upon me. The reaper smirks, I can see my reflection in his eyes that flicker from the torches.

"Congratulations. You are officially a reaper."