Epilogue

Four days earlier

The smell of melting candle wax welcomed them as they entered the bedroom. The candles spread a romantic glow and of all the rooms he had shown her, this one looked the most homey. 

Dana said no word. 

Sixteen hours had passed since they had gotten into the limousine and all this time Dana had held her tongue. She was in shock, Maddox thought. He didn't mind. He understood she needed time to get used to the new situation, to get used to him. And now, they had all the time of the world. Nobody would come looking for them on this remote island. Only a few business partners knew how to contact him and they wouldn't worry about a few arrogant bikers.

"This will be your new home. I hope you like it."

Maddox turned towards her, taking a deep breath to control himself. He wanted to touch her so badly it drove him crazy, and the flaring candle light almost made him lose his temper. Her skin underneath his lips, underneath his fingers; it was the only thing he could think of. He wanted to claim every inch of her body, wiping away every memory about her rebound lover.

He lifted his hand. He could no longer control himself. The past hours they hadn't been alone for a single moment but now they were. Finally. Very lightly his finger tips glided across her cheek. The warmth of her skin gave him such an intense feeling he was getting hard immediately. 

"I missed you so much." She was the only one who could make his voice tremble. But around her, he didn't feel ashamed. Around her, he could be who he really was. "I know I made mistakes. I did awful things; I'd lost myself." Maddox tried to catch her glance, but she stared past him persistently. "I love you. This time I want to do it right."

"You want to do it right?" Her voice sounded loud, scoffing. 

"Yes. I want things between us like they were in the past, but... better."

Finally she looked at him. Her glance wasn't loving; there was a flaming hate. But he didn't mind. His love for her would extinguish that fire. 

"Don't touch me." Her jaw tensed. Still she looked gorgeous. "Don't touch me until I'm ready for that."

Hopefully Maddox looked at her. He had known she would give him another chance, but he was surprised she agreed with it so soon. "Do you give me a new chance?"

She started to laugh, but it was a hollow sound. "I don't want to be raped by you again. I don't want you to beat me until I'm bleeding again. If you really believe we can get back to the old days, we have to start over. With a new leaf. A first date. A first kiss. A first everything and you won't force me into anything." The look in her eyes seemed to soften. "You think you can do that?"

His fingers floated in front of her face. Could he? Wait even longer? At least it was a cold comfort that nobody else was touching her in the meantime. 

"I can. I will change. For you. I promise you." He took a deep breath. "I already changed because of you. Despite everything, your brother is still alive, as is Juan Carlos. And... And I arranged some company for you while you're here."

Her eyes widened, showing her confusion. 

He held out his hand and after a short hesitation Dana put hers into it. With his thumb he stroked hers as he took her to the adjacent room, the only one he had skipped before. There she would find her welcome home gift. 

. . .

Dana knew it was only a stay of execution. There would be a day on which he would lose his patience, that he would realize she would never feel the slightest bit of sympathy for him. But right now he was still blind, captivated by his euphoria of getting her back after three-quarter year. She was sure he would become aggressive again, pushing her limits and taking what he believed was his, but every moment she could postpone that pain, was a blessing. Every moment that Juice's fingers had been the last touching her, she wanted to cement into her memory. Even though Maddox was always so perceptive, his naivety was her only hope now. He didn't know how to love and he neither knew how it felt to be loved. She had no idea how long she could keep up appearances, but the moment she would be too compliant or too rebellious, he would terrorize her again like he had done before. Then she would end up in a basement without a chance to escape. 

Dana squeezed her eyes as Maddox opened a door for her. The room was small and dark, with nothing in it besides a bowl of water and a tray with food. In the corner, partly covered by a blanket, was a blonde young man. 

Dana covered her mouth with her hand. "Kip!"

He looked up as he heard her voice. His eyes were blackened and swollen; just like the rest of his face. Without hesitation she ran towards him and almost dove on top of him. 

"Oh God... You're still alive..." Carefully she stroked his swollen cheeks. She had been so afraid that Maddox had killed him that she hadn't dared to ask about it. 

"Dana..." His voice sounded raw, as if it had been days since he had spoken. "No..."

Dana wrapped her arms around him, holding him tight. Hot tears rolled down her cheeks. Mixed feelings were beating her down. On the one hand she was more than happy to see a familiar, friendly face. On the other hand she knew all to well how this would turn out for her friend. Sooner or later Maddox would kill him. 

"I thought you could use a friend," Maddox's voice sounded behind her, more cold than before. 

The way she hugged Kip, had to call up jealousy and she quickly let go of him. 

"Since you killed your former friend."

Dana took a deep breath. Pleas were on the tip of her tongue, but she knew there was no point in begging for Kip's release. She would only upset Maddox. She stood up, squared her shoulders and walked to her ex. With reluctance she laid her hand on his hip and kissed his cheek. "Thank you."

Then she walked past him, blinking the tears out of her eyes and trying to make peace with this new situation. 

No matter how guilty she felt about the thought; she felt a bit lighter now she knew she wasn't all alone any more.

. . . 

The end of part I

Part II is called "Ghosts"

. . . 

Thanks for reading, commenting and/or voting! (: