044 • Opie

Opie had dragged Dana across the cemetery, away from the entrance. Her face was covered in blood, which he needed to remove before they could merge with the crowd again. They'd wrestled through bushes until they'd found a ditch. The water however was so dirty it didn't help much. 

"You okay?" he asked softly. 

He'd asked that a few times now, but since the shooting she hadn't said a single word. He put his arm around her. "He's dead, Dana. It's over. Even if I'm caught for murder, you'll be safe. He can't hurt you anymore. Not ever."

Opie hadn't hesitated when he'd felt how Dana tensed after the man had whispered in her ear. He knew he would get only one chance, and without thinking about the consequences he'd shot the man in his head. He didn't know what Maddox had told her. It didn't matter anyway. He was gone.

She went down on her knees, staring at the bloodstains on her hands. She'd incurred them while rubbing her face. "What have you done, Opie..." she whispered. 

Opie crouched down next to her. "Hey... He deserved that. This had to happen." He hesitated, surprised she reacted this way. She'd killed someone too because there was no way out, and he'd never had the feeling she was really struggling with that. And for good reason: that guy had deserved to die. 

As did Maddox.

"You don't get it." She breathed shakily, and shrunk. "That wasn't Maddox, Ope..."

Opie froze. "What... Whatcha mean? You reacted so intense!"

Had he misjudged the situation? Hadn't it been someone who threatened her, but just an acquaintance who'd seen through her disguise? He cursed. "Then who was it, Dana? Not... not someone you liked, right?"

She wrapped her arms around her knees. "No. His name was Danny. Maddox' best friend. I... I had to suck him. He deserved to die." Her hands glided through her hair, and she grasped the red strands so tightly her knuckles went pale. "But... Now I'm the reason that Casper and Danny are dead. The two people Maddox cared about most." She hid her face behind her hands. "And now he knows where I was hiding, who were helping me. He's goin' to declare war to the MC." She stared forward. "I've been so stupid, Ope... All this... it was all Maddox' plan. He ensured my mother was gettin' the wrong medicines, that's what killed her. And he just waited until I came here, and now I got no place to go and..."

"Sst." He pulled her close. With her head she leaned against his chest and she started to cry. "The club will handle this, Dane. Don't underestimate us. We know how to protect ourselves. We've been a target before." He stroke her hair. "And we don't know how much he knows. There a lots of MC's with charters all over the world, not only in Charming. That fucker deserved a bullet in his head, and I don't regret it and neither should you. We'll handle this. Together. Okay?"

She nodded, hesitating. 

"Good. Now, give Ortiz a call first. I think he's shittin' his pants." He stood up and looked around. They first needed to leave this cemetery, soon this place would be crawling with cops. 

Dana nodded and grabbed her phone. Opie did the same and called Jax to inform him about their situation. They needed to ride back in small groups, making sure they wouldn't be followed.