004

chapter four: the funeral of will byers

rebecca and her father, along with the rest of the town went to will's funeral.

rebecca looked in the mirrior, taking one last look at her black dress before seeing her father walk in the room.

"let's go, pumpkin." her father said as she nodded and they went out to his car.

everyone was gathered outside in the grave yard as pastor charles said some words.

"fear not, for i am with you. be not dismayed, for i am your god. i will strengthen you. yes, i will help you. i will uphold you with my righteous right hand. it's times like these that our faith is challenged. how, if he is truly benevolent... could god take from us someone so young, so innocent? it would be easy to turn away from god... but we must remember that nothing, not even tragedy, can separate us from his love. we are here today to find comfort in the truth of scripture, and to surround will and his family..." pastor charles said.

rebecca looked up and saw nancys mother shushing mike and wills other friends.

everyone put some flowers above will's coffin and rebecca went and stood beside joyce.

"this is bullshit." rebecca said making joyce look at her.

"yeah, something like that." joyce replied.

"you know, after my sister died, i probably felt the same way you're feeling. at first it's all a joke, it's not real, but after a while, reality sets in. i guess what i'm trying to say is... i'm here for you and your family mrs. byers." rebecca said to her as joyce gave her a smile and grabbed the young girls hand.

"thank you. that's very kind of you, rebecca." joyce said as rebecca smiled back at her.

everyone went to eat after the funeral and rebecca saw steve. he walked over to her and she had a confused look on her face.

"hey." steve said sitting beside her and she fiddled with the blue bracelet on her wrist.

steve felt himself frown. he knew that was the bracelet that her sister made her before she died. her father also wore his to this day.

"hey." rebecca replied.

"i know today must bring back memories for you." steve said as they locked eyes.

"yeah, but i'm dealing." rebecca replied as he nodded.

"did you wanna do something later? maybe get your mind off everything?" steve asked her as she felt a smile tug at her lips.