052

chapter fifty two: the war zone

rebecca had gone into the bathroom of the trailer so that she could look at her arm. she heard a knock on the door making her open it.

she saw steve and she let him in before closing the door. he saw the scratch on her arm, it wasn't too deep but deep enough to hurt.

"this looks like it's gonna scar." steve said as he helped her clean it up.

she let out a hiss as he cleaned it and he apologized.

"well, maybe it'll go with this one." rebecca said showing the scar on her hand from when her, nancy and jonathan cut their hands.

"i really thought i was gonna lose you. you know, while you stayed there in the air, i thought all i'm going to have left of you is some letter." steve said making rebecca look up at him.

"steve." rebecca said pulling the letter out from her back pocket and trying to pass it to him.

"please, beck. i can't even process what happened i don't want to read a goodbye letter." steve said.

"good thing i memorized it for you, then." rebecca said.

"beck-" steve tried but she cut him off.

"steve harrington is for the people who desperately want to change. for the ones who don't feel like themselves around their friends. for the people who's love is pure and deep, even for someone who doesn't deserve it. for the kids with hearts made of gold and hands made for holding. for the mom friends, who feel obligated to protect their loved ones, because that's what they're here for. for the people who got heartbroken too many times. steve harrington is for the people who will always put others first, even if it means forgetting their own problems. for the people who made poor decisions in the past and now feel like they have to clean themselves from it. steve is for the lovers, the givers, the golden ones. that is why you, steve harrington are first man i've ever loved. the only man i'll ever love." rebecca said as steve locked eyes with her.

he couldn't believe that rebecca was saying all of that. he didn't want to kiss her during a time like this but damn if he wasn't craving it.

before steve could say anything, they heard the gang shouting for them since they had a plan.

"check this out. the war zone. i've been there once. it's huge. they got everything you need for, uh... well, killing things, basically." eddie said showing them the newspaper ad for the store.

"you think fake rambo has enough guns there? is that a grenade? i mean, how is any of this legal?" robin asked.

"you'd be surprised." rebecca told her.

"well, lucky for us it is, so... this... this place is just far enough outside of hawkins. as long as we steer clear of the main roads, we oughta be able to avoid cops and. uh, angry hicks." eddie said.

"if we're trying to avoid angry hicks, maybe we shouldn't go to some store called the war zone." erica said.

"normally, i'd agree, but we need the weapons. so i think it's worth the risk." nancy said.

"me too." lucas said.

"yeah but is it worth the time? it'll take all day to bike there and back." dustin said.

"who said anything about bikes?" eddie asked.

"you got some sort of car we don't know about?" steve asked.

"it's not exactly a car, steve. and it's not exactly mine, but, uh... it'll do. hey, red, uh, you got a ski mask or a bandana, something like that?" eddie asked max.

max went back to her trailer and grabbed her michael myers mask from halloween. eddie put it on and the gang followed behind him.

he motioned for them to run and they went over to an RV. they snuck in through the window and eddie took off his mask.

"that was suffocating." eddie said.

"go! come on." steve told the others as everyone got in.

eddie locked all the doors of the RV and he got in the drivers seat. rebecca and steve looked to see what he was doing, they saw he was hot wiring the RV.

"where'd you learn how to do this?" steve asked him.

"well, when the other dads were teaching their kids how to fish or play ball, my old man was teaching me how to hot wire. now. i swore to myself i wouldn't wind up like he did, but now i'm wanted for murder, and soon, grand theft auto. so, uh, i'm really living up to that munson name." eddie said.

"uh, eddie, i'm not sure i love the idea of you driving." robin intervened.

"oh, i'm just starting this sucker. harrington's got her. don't ya, big boy?" eddie asked him.

once the RV started, the owners started to bang on the windows.

"hey! open this door!" the woman shouted.

"shit! go." steve said.

rebecca got in the front seat while steve got in the drivers seat.

"it's just a car. everybody, hang on to something!" steve shouted.

"go, go, go!" rebecca said.

"oh, my god! oh, my god! let's go, let's go, let's go!" lucas said.

"drive, steve! drive!" dustin said.

"go, go, go." robin said.

steve hit the gas and he started to drive as fast as he could.

"go! go! go! go! go! go! go! shit, they look pissed." dustin said seeing the owners running after them.

"i mean, it's not everyday you lose your house and car in one fell swoop." robin said.

"hold on, hold on!" steve said cutting the corner.

"turn, turn." rebecca said.

"okay." steve said as he swerved onto the road.

they finally made it onto the road and were on route to the war zone.

-

"so, how's driving an RV for the first time?" rebecca asked steve.

"not half bad. considering that this is a... house. yeah, it's... it's silly, but i... i've actually... i always had this dream that i'd have this really like, ... this really big family. i'm talking, like, uh, a full brood of harringtons. like, five, six kids." steve said making rebecca chuckle.

"six? that's a lot." rebecca said.

"yeah. six little nuggets. three girls, three boys. and... and every summer, i figured all of us harringtons, we would pack into something like this and... just see the country. you know, the rockies, grand canyon, maybe yellowstone. end up in some beachside town in california. spend a week parked in the sand. learn how to surf or something." steve said.

"that sounds really nice, steve." rebecca said as they locked eyes.

"yeah?" steve asked her.

"yeah. you know, except for the, uh, six kid part. that sounds like a stressful life." rebecca said.

"if only i had some practice." steve said looking at the kids in the back.

"okay, you got me there." rebecca replied smiling at him.