049

chapter forty nine: one second

"couldn't we have tried a road, or something just slightly less creepy?" robin said as they walked through the woods.

"i think we're getting close. we're almost out of here. don't worry." nancy said.

the girls were walking ahead of the guys and they were out of earshot from them.

"eddie. eddie. hey, man. uh... listen, i just, uh... i just want to say thanks. for saving my ass back there." steve said to him as they walked together.

"shit. you saved your own ass, man. i mean, that was a real ozzy move you pulled back there." eddie said.

"ozzy?" steve asked him.

"when you took a bite out of that bat. ozzy osbourne? black sabbath? he bit a bat's head off onstage." eddie explained to him.

"i don't-" steve began.

"you know? doesn't matter." eddie said.

"no." steve said.

"it's very metal, what you did. that's all i'm saying." eddie told him.

"thanks." steve replied.

"henderson told me you were a badass. insisted on the matter, in fact." eddie told him.

"henderson said that?" steve asked him.

"oh yeah. shit. kid worships you, dude. like, you have no idea. it's kinda annoying, to be honest. i don't even know why i care what that little shrimp thinks, but, uh, guess i got a little jealous, steve. i guess i couldn't accept the fact that steve harrington was actually a good dude. rich parents, popular, chicks love him. not a douche? no way, man. no way. that, like, flies in the face of all the laws in the universe and my own personal munson doctrine. still super jealous as hell, by the way." eddie said.

"okay." steve said.

"which is why i would have never jumped in that lake to save your ass. not under any, uh... normal circumstances. nope. outside of D&D, i am no hero. i see danger and i just turn heel and run. or at least that's what i've learned about myself this week." eddie said.

"give yourself a break, man." steve said to him.

"see? the only reason i came in here was cause those ladies came in straight after you. now, i was too ashamed to be the one who stayed behind. but hopper right there, she didn't waste a second. not one second. she just dove right in. now, i don't know what happened between you two, but if i were you, i would get her back. cause that was an unambiguous a sign of true love as these cynical eyes have ever seen." eddie said.

steve kept looking over at rebecca, he didn't know that she wanted to risk her life to save him. no thought behind it, she just acted.

suddenly, the ground started to shake again which made everyone tumble around.