042

chapter forty two: victor creel

while nancy was getting robin changed, rebecca was writing letters. she heard max was writing some downstairs.

she decided that it would be a good idea in case things didn't go well.

nancy walked out of her room and saw rebecca writing letters. she had one for her, for robin, for the kids and for joyce.

"what are you writing?" nancy asked her looking at her with an intense look.

"did steve tell you?" rebecca asked as nancy nodded her head.

"he's just scared, we all are." nancy said.

"i just need you to give these letters out for me, okay? in case things go wrong. i just have two left. one for steve and one for my dad. i know it sounds silly but i just have to in case one day he..." rebecca began until nancy grabbed her hand.

"i'll give them out, don't worry. you don't need to come with us if it's too much." nancy told her.

"no, i need to do this. i don't wanna feel like i just gave up, you know?" rebecca said as nancy nodded.

once robin was ready, the girls got in the car and headed to the asylum. once they got there, rebecca noticed robin was struggling to walk in her heels.

"are you okay, robin?" rebecca asked her.

"i can't breathe in this thing, and i'm itchy. i'm itching all over." robin said.

"it's not all about comfort. okay? we're academics." nancy told her.

"who are evidently coming straight from an easter brunch. also, this bra that you gave me is really pinching my boobs." robin said.

"okay. could you just let me and rebecca do the talking? if that's even possible?" nancy said.

"it's not only possible, it's inevitable. because shortly, i'll be dead from strangulation." robin said referring to her turtle neck.

they got into the director's office and he started to go through their files.

"3.9 GPAs. all of you. impressive." the director said.

"and this is a recommendation from professor brantley." nancy said passing him a letter she made up.

"yeah, i know larry. quite well, actually, eh, you know what they say. those who can't do, teach." hatch said as robin chuckled a bit too loudly.

"well, he's certainly a good professor, right, ruth?" rebecca asked her.

"uh, yes, yes, that's actually why we're here. i mean, we can only learn so much in a classroom." nancy said.

"mm. and i'm sympathetic to your struggle, truly. but there is a protocol to visiting a patient like victor. you have to put in a request. and then you have to undergo a screening process, at which point the board will make a decision. i can see you're disappointed. but i'm more than happy to give you a tour of our facility. perhaps you can even speak to some patients in our low security wing." hatch said.