038

chapter thirty eight: vecna's curse

after steve and robin got changed out of their work clothes, they headed over to rick lipton's house. rebecca was the last to get out of the car and steve stopped to wait for her.

"here." steve said passing rebecca a flashlight.

"thanks. uh, i hope it's not gonna be too weird with me being here and being near the lake." rebecca said.

steve and rebecca used to go to lovers lake sometimes to hook up during high school. she remembered one night she wanted to go for a night swim with him.

he'll never forget when it started raining but she didn't want to leave the lake. he just admired how beautiful she looked, hair all wet, eyes twinkling, the moonlight on her face.

rebecca and steve were in the water, she felt steve pull her closer to him. she felt like the only girl in the world when she was around him.

"you're ridiculous rebecca hopper." steve told her as she chuckled.

"nothing wrong with a little rain." rebecca replied.

steve felt rebecca wrap her around around the back of his neck and he leaned in, kissing her with all the passion he had. all for this one girl.

in the distance, all rebecca could hear was the music playing from steve's car. wind beneath my wings by bette midler played over his radio.

hearing that song made the moment between them all the more special.

after kissing her, he promised to never let her be unhappy. of course, with what happened with her father, he wasn't able to keep that promise.

he didn't know how to help her out of that. he wanted to be there for her but their breakup made things hard on the both of them.

"i mean, i'll never be able to pretend like nothing happened but i want us to at least be friends." steve said as rebecca smiled.

"i want that, too." rebecca replied.

they heard dustin ringing the doorbell a couple times and they went over to the rest of the gang.

dustin started to repeatedly hit the doorbell but there was still no answer.

"okay. well, that's settled. i guess he's not here." steve said.

"eddie! its dustin!" he shouted as he started knocking on the door.

"great. that's just great." steve said.

"look, we just wanna talk, okay? no cops, i swear. we just wanna help. eddie! rick! reefer rick!" dustin kept screaming.

"don't scream that." steve told him.