054

chapter fifty four: a proper thump

the four teens started to walk towards the playground and they were in the woods with flashlights.

"uh... i don't mean to freak anyone out, but i swear we've seen this tree before." robin said.

"that's impossible." nancy told her.

"that would suck, right? if vecna destroyed the world because... cause we got lost in the woods?" robin said freaking out.

"we're not lost, robin." nancy told her.

robin started to chuckle and nancy tried keeping up with her.

"robin, hey. watch out for the vines! hive mind. remember?" nancy said.

"thank you!" robin said back.

rebecca and steve were walking behind robin and nancy. he could tell she was worried about robin.

"uh, don't worry about her. she's just stressed. you know, scared." steve told her.

"yeah, i know that. it's just..." rebecca began.

"she's a super klutz?" steve said making rebecca chuckle.

"well, she did tell nancy and i that it took her longer to walk than most babies, so..." rebecca said making steve laugh.

"i really shouldn't laugh. when i was a baby, i actually crawled backwards." steve said making rebecca grin.

"you crawled backwards?" rebecca asked him.

"you know, i'd push with my hands like this. beep. beep. always in reverse, you know? i mean, come on, it makes sense. you push to move, right?" steve said making rebecca laugh.

"i mean, i get it, but it doesn't make sense." rebecca told him.

"well, it did to my tiny little harrington brain. that is, of course until i reversed my baby butt down a flight of stairs and thumped my head really good. yeah." steve said.

"huh, that explains a lot, actually." rebecca said making steve laugh.

"yeah. i think it kinda does. i think, like, right out of the gate, like, i'm super confident. you know? but i'm also, like, an idiot. which is just... i mean, it's a brutal combination. but, i mean, the good news is, i get a big enough thump on my head, i can change, you know? i can learn. i can crawl forward. listen, i guess what i'm trying to say in a really stupid, roundabout way is, um... is thank you." steve said as the two stopped walking and locked eyes.

"thank me?" rebecca said him.

"yeah." steve replied.

"for what?" rebecca asked him in a confused tone.

"for giving my head the biggest thump of its life two years ago. i needed it. it's changed my life. and now i'm crawling forward. slowly. i just wonder sometimes... you know, if... some other girl had given me a proper thump before we'd met, would things have been different? like, if we were meeting together for the first time right now, part of me... i dunno, part of me thinks we would've made it." steve said making rebecca's eyes soften.

"steve..." rebecca said, not knowing how to word what she wanted to say.

"remember the dream i told you about? about the winnebago? about seeing the country with my six lil nuggets? it's all true. every last word. but i left one part out. it's the most important part. you're there. you've always been there." steve said making rebecca get closer to him.

"i know." rebecca said with a small smile before she felt steve's breathe hit her face.

"you knew?" steve asked her as his eyes flickered down to her lips and back to her eyes.

"of course i knew." rebecca said before taking a bold decision and kissing steve.

steve was surprised at first but he wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her closer to him.

rebecca ran her hands through his hair as their lips molded together perfectly and moved in sync.

they both pulled away and rebecca rested her forehead on top of steve's.

"if we die here, i don't want to die with any regrets. i know we broke up-" rebecca began but steve cut her off.

"beck, you took some time for yourself. i don't blame you for that. i am just happy to have this time with you, right now." steve said making her smile and kiss him again.

"hey, guys! you guys! awesome news! oh-" robin said once she saw the two of them kissing.

they pulled away from each other after robin and nancy saw them kissing.

"sorry, uh, what's the good news?" rebecca asked as she trying collecting herself from the feeling she got after kissing steve.

"looks like we weren't going the wrong way after all. come on. let's go!" robin said as she started running.

"okay. ro... slow down! ro... robin!" steve shouted as they followed behind her.

they saw the creel house and then they turned to the playground where they saw the light.

"erica." steve said as they walked over to the light.

-

"okay, the lovebirds have copied. max is moving into phase two: distracting vecna." they heard erica say from their world.

"so far, so smooth." robin said.

"yeah, we're not even at the hard part yet." steve said.

"take the bait, you son of a bitch. take the bait." nancy said to herself.

they saw how many bats were guarding the house so they hoped max could get vecna's attention.

they waited a little bit for vecna to take the bait. rebecca felt steve grab her hand since she looked stressed, he thought he could calm her down.

"okay, she's in. initiate phase three." they heard erica say.

"she's in. move on to phase three." robin said over to dustin on the cerebro.

"copy that. initiating phase three." dustin replied.

out in the distance, rebecca heard rock music being played on an electric guitar. she knew it was eddie distracting the bats.

"okay it's working. let's go." nancy said seeing the bats were flying towards the noise.

they left their hiding place and made their way towards the house. they just needed max to keep vecna distracted long enough.

they walked into the house and saw a bunch of vines all over the place.

"oh shit. that's not good." steve said as he tried jumping around to avoid them.

"shit." robin said as nancy grabbed her hand.

"it's okay. you got this." nancy said.

"just follow behind me." rebecca told robin.

rebecca lead the way and she tried to catch up with steve. they went slowly so that robin wouldn't trip.