040

chapter forty: shot in the dark

nancy explained to the girls that after talking to eddie's uncle, she learned about a man named victor creel. he killed his entire family the same way chrissy and fred were killed.

once the other two were up to speed, they walked up to the library.

"okay, help me get this straight. eddie's uncle, wayne, thinks that victor creek escaped from pennhurst asylum and that he's the one running around hawkins committing all these murders?" robin asked.

"pretty much." nancy replied.

"but victor committed the eyeball murders, like, way back in the 50s." robin said.

"well, 59." nancy said.

"so, that means these murders predate eleven in the upside down by about 30 years?" robin asked.

"yeah." nancy replied.

"so if he committed the murders of his family when he was 40..." rebecca trailed off.

"that makes spooky victor creel like 70 years old." robin concluded.

"yep." nancy said as she rang the bell for someone to help them.

"so, he's a grandpa murderer who can turn invisible and lift people into the air." robin said.

"it doesn't make sense. i know. that's why i said it was a shot in the dark." nancy said before ringing the bell a second time.

"i know. i just thought that by shot in the dark, you were being modest or hiding something super solid up your sleeve that you were gonna wow us with later. but this is like really, truly a shot in the dark. like, we are snipers with blindfolds on who've been spun around 50 times." robin went on.

at this point nancy was getting annoyed and she started to hit the bell rapidly.

"coming!" the librarian said coming from the back room.

"hi. sorry, we're in a bit of a rush. could we get the keys to the basement archives?" nancy asked her.

"of course. give me one sec." the librarian replied before going out back.

"did i come off mean or condescending or something?" robin asked nancy.

"no." nancy replied.

"right. sorry. it's just, you seem annoyed. you don't know me well. i mean, rebecca and i were trapped in the russian elevator together. she knows i don't really have a filter or a strong grasp of social cues." robin said.

"okay." nancy replied.

"she's right. it's just who she is." rebecca said.

"if i say something that upsets you, just know that i know it's a flaw. believe me, my mother reminds me daily." robin told her.