036

chapter thirty six: the hellfire club

it had been a long summer. rebecca spent countless days trying to track down her father. she had nothing.

a few months after his disappearance, rebecca couldn't recognize herself. she felt alone. even with steve there, she just didn't feel like herself anymore.

she needed to find a way to move on with her life. she hated it, but she broke up with steve. she knew it wasn't right to drag him through the hardship she was going through.

she didn't feel like she could take him down with her, she loved him too much. after their breakup, she went back to her father's cabin, her former home.

she spent the rest of her summer fixing it back up. some days she would call el and they would talk for hours. she missed her. el was the only person she talked to.

brandy and michelle hadn't seen her since her father disappeared. they missed her but they didn't recognize her anymore.

they tried reaching out to her a couple of times but they weren't sure how to help her other than giving her space.

she didn't go to college either, she couldn't focus on school until she focused more on taking care of herself.

-

steve was driving robin to the school and he was ranting to her about rebecca.

"i get that she needed some time, okay? i'm all for that but i miss her, you know? i mean, i haven't heard from her in months. i don't even know if she went to college out of state or if she's on some lead chasing down her father. it's like do i really wanna start another relationship when i'm still in love with rebecca? i mean, i don't know. does that make sense to you?" steve asked her.

he looked over at robin who was doing her mascara. she was very focused on not messing it up.

"robin, are you listening?" steve asked her noticing she wasn't paying attention.

"uh, yes. i was listening." robin said.

"what did i just say?" steve asked her.

"something about moving on from rebecca." robin replied.

"no, i'm talking about how i can't move on because i still love her." steve said.

"cut me some slack, please." robin said.

"well-" steve went to say but robin cut him off.

"your love life is one labyrinthine complexity. and it is 7 in the morning, we have to go to this stupid pep rally, and i woke up looking like a total corpse." robin said.