Chapter Twenty Eight: The Outcome

Börja om från början

Some in the room were against me, others were quite clearly thinking. The council member rubbed at his stubble and his jaw repeatedly clenched and unclenched, obviously deep in thought.

"Fine, I will administer a survey at once for the people-"

"I disagree. I think we should lock these barbarians up at once and have them executed for their behavior. It's unexceptionable." Council member Harris seethed.

One of the other members spoke up. "And risk starting a war? It doesn't matter what side you're on, but starting a war is something none of us want."

Harris scoffed. "They're bluffing. I'm sure they don't even have enough of them to fill a small school bus, they're using a fear tactic and you all are too blind to see it."

"We don't know anything for sure, Harris. That's why I'm going to have the people vote for themselves."

Harris looked pissed and he shot daggers at me. "Fine," He says, slumping back in his seat, "But if they are lying, I will find out and I will have them tortured and executed for the transgressions they've brought upon us."

I rolled my eyes. Sooo unnecessarily dramatic.

"Very well then. We shall see what the people have to say about this issue. Give us a week to fulfill our duties then come back." The calmer council member told us.

I nodded, glancing at Anya's eyes. She seemed hopeful, and I was hopeful, too. In fact, I think we all are.

This could be the breakthrough we're all waiting for.

"Thank you."

"Mrs. Dulaney will escort you out now." 

Without another word, we all turned and left. The lady escorted us out and we couldn't wait to deliver the hopeful news to the others.

* * *

When we got outside, we were greeted by those who waited outside for us. They looked at us with anxious eyes as awaiting the news in which we would deliver.

"So, what'd they say?" One of them said.

I shrugged. "Most of them seemed surprisingly willing to look at the facts. Like planned, they're not in favor in spending millions on a war, and the scare tactic as well as the truth presented before them made them rethink and evaluate their options more."

"So now what? We wait?" Another asks.

I nod. "Yes, we are to come back next week to be informed of the results. I suggest we all stay here for the week so we can keep an eye on things and so that we don't have to drive all the way back here again."

"How will the others back at the camp be informed about this, then?"

"If there are a few of those who have a family or would like to inform the others of the news, then you are welcome to go back. Only a few people can go, though, I don't want everyone leaving. If you do leave, make sure to come back within a couple days." I reply.

People chatted amongst each other as they decided who would be the few to go and who would be the ones who are to stay.

"Where will we be staying for the week, then?" Richard asks as he walks up to me scratching his beer belly.

"I reckon there's motels around here we can stay in for the time being. Or if others don't want to spend the saved money then you can sleep in your vehicle, which ever works for you. As long as we don't separate, it's fine." I reply.

Our group discusses matters of where we will be staying for the week until we come to an agreement. Some will be sleeping in a motel while others will be sleeping in the trucks in the parking lot of the motel.