Chapter Twenty Five: First "Date"

Start from the beginning

She kisses me.

Her lips land on mine, sending chills down my spine. I kiss her back gently, and I feel her fangs graze against my lips. Her lips are soft and warm, and her arms wrap tighter around the back of my neck.

Our body heat mingled with each other and our breaths were slightly more heavy. It was a little awkward, being it was our first kiss. But it was still special and a huge step in our relationship.

When we pull away, she looks shy. "That was a nice surprise." I tell her.

"I'm full of surprises." She says, giggling.

"And I can't wait to discover them." I say, giving her a quick kiss on her nose.

She pulls away out of my grasp. "Oh yeah? Well you have to catch me first." She says, smirking before taking off into the little pools of water.

So I go after Anya, and we leap on rocks after each other, chasing the wind and letting the water of the river splash upon us. It was refreshing to be carefree for once in a life full of pain.

This little break was much needed.

* * *

When light started to fade we were back on the road. Our clothes were damp from the river, but it was worth it. The paved road started to turn to gravel, and soon, nothing at all.

"Are you sure you took the right turn?" Anya asks.

I nod, running a hand through my hair. "Yeah, I'm certain this is the right way, well, that's what this map says any way."

Nothing but forests surround us.

"They have to be out here. I'm sure they are just really good at staying hidden." I tell Anya. It makes sense, they have to be good at staying hidden, otherwise they wouldn't be here.

"I'm going to look around, see if I notice anything. You stay here, I won't stray far." 

Anya nods and I get out of the truck.

I don't even make it ten feet out of the truck when I trip over a wire that sends me flying to the ground. The moment my body hits the ground, an arrow whizzes by my head.

"Don't move." A deep voice says from above me. The cold barrel of a gun is pressed against the back of my head.

"Hands behind your back." The voice commands of me once more.

At this point, I hear the truck door opening. Anya, don't do anything stupid. I think to myself.

"Scottie, handle the girl. I got this one."

"Don't touch her." I spit out.

"I want you to get on your knees. Any funny business won't be good for you, mutt." The voice says. I slowly get to my knees, careful not to make any sudden movements.

I don't if these guys are good or bad yet, so I need to be careful.

Once I'm sitting up, I am able to see the man's face. He's definitely a werewolf, that I'm sure because of his distinct scent. He looks to maybe be in his early forties or so, with tan skin and dark hair. He looks fit and athletic, obviously he's trained.

Looking over, I see the younger man, Scottie tending to my mate. I notice Scottie has light blonde hair and golden eyes to match. A rifle is strapped to his back. He cuffs Anya's hands behind her back and leads her over.

He pushes her to her knees next to me. She doesn't look as scared as I expected her to be, and that provides me with some relief.

"State your business here, and you may walk out alive today." The older man says, shrugging nonchalantly.

"I'm Donovan Scath, here with my mate, Anya. I received instructions by Doctor Sarah at the Lab Facility and-"

"Doctor Sarah sent you here?" Scottie asks, raising a brow.

"Yes. She sent us here because I want an uprising. I wish to change the Council's laws, and you're the group of rebels hiding out here, and I want to talk to you about it." I tell the two men.

"Hmm..." The older man says, rubbing his chin and furrowing his eyebrows in thought.

"You see, my mate Anya and I were separated because-"

"Oh yes, we are quite familiar with your story. I know who you are. I recognized you the moment you stepped out of your truck." The man says.

"Then why did you arrest us like this?"

The man shrugs. "For fun. We don't exactly see that much action out here." Scottie nods in agreement.

Unbelievable.

"Well, my name is Richard." The man says, pulling out a large knife and approaching me. He raises the weapon above my head.

"Woah, woah. What are you doing?" I ask him, becoming unsure.

Richard just laughs. "You shoulda' seen your face, boy! I was only going to cut your ropes free." He says, going behind me and cutting the ropes off of my wrists. He does the same to Anya, too.

Crazy man.

Anya gives me the same unsure look, and I just shrug in return.

"I'm only messin' with you, relax. You two follow me, alright? It's time I show you our fortress."

Anya and I slowly rise to our feet, where we follow the Richard and Scottie deeper into the thick forests.