Chapter 5

"This is not the way you treat a woman, Mister."

   Asterin stared at the same mop of black curls but with glasses. He pushed the guy's hand and stepped in front of her.

   "Oh, who are you now? Her boyfriend?" That guy spat.

   "That's none of your business. You may leave now," He calmly said as he clenched his fist.

  "I cannot!"

   "Leave my shop now before the cops arrive. Now!" A voice boomed through the shop.

  Everyone turned around and looked at Dalton. Asterin just stared at the boy since she didn't really hear Dalton. Right then sirens were heard and the man's eyes widened. He quickly grabbed his wife's hand and ran out of the shop. Dalton walked up to Asterin while chuckling.

   "That was an ambulance," He commented. She nodded not really knowing what he meant by that.

   "Thanks for dealing with him," Dalton said.

   She smiled and simply nodded. He walked past her and patted the boy on his shoulder.

  "Thanks for standing up for her," Dalton said and walked away.

  Behind him the boy who saved her followed. She quickly ran behind him as he opened the door and walked away.

   "Hey wait!" She yelled.

   He didn't hear her again because as usual he had his headsets on his ears. She stopped and cursed under her breath. She turned around and walked back into the shop.

   "Is that your boyfriend?" Daia asked but Asterin didn't notice.

   Daia found her not answering and patted Asterin. 

   "Is that your boyfriend?" This time Asterin noticed her and her eyes widened.

   "What? No! I don't know who he is."

   "Oh well okay. Thank you so much for doing that."

   "No problem."

   After her shift got over, She bought Two Chicken sandwiches and two caramel cappuccinos before leaving. She hummed a tune as she walked on the lonely road. Soon the park they met at came into view.

   I hope he comes there.

   She walked inside and found the swings empty. She the paper bag on the swing seat and took out a pen from her purse. She wrote Thank you for Today on the bag and sat on the other swing. She put the pen in her purse and took a box of sandwich and a cup of cappuccino from the bag. She slowly moved back and forth on the swing as she ate the sandwich. She closed her eyes trying to savour the taste as she thought about her family. When she opened her eyes, she found a person eating the sandwich she had bought.

   "You scared me," she said.

   "Oh I didn't mean too," he replied.

   The sky was dim tonight so Asterin couldn't really make out what he was saying. 

   "I love the food at the place you work at. It's mouth-watering. Thanks for this," He said holding the cup of cappuccino.

   She tried figuring what he was saying but it was hard. She felt hopeless and stupid. She just hummed in response.

    After she was done eating and took the last sip of her cappuccino, she dug through her bag for something to wipe her hand with. She took out a pack of wet wipes and wiped her fingers using a wet wipe from it. She lifted her head to find the boy standing in front of her.