Chapter 27

"What!"

   "I'm in love with a girl," she said stressing on every word.

   "What are you saying, Asterin? You are dating Aiden!"

   "I still am. I love Aiden. I love Aelin. Both of them are the same person."

   They gasped.

   "That girl has been fooling you all this while?" Her mum exclaimed.

   "No Mum! She is gender fluid. Some days she is she somedays she is he. Some days she is genderless."

  "Honey you do not love her. She is a girl. You can't love her. It's just an idea in your head," her mum signed.

   "No Mum! It's an idea in my heart and that idea is called love."

   "You knew about this?" Her mother asked her brother.

   "Yes. She told me when I came."

   "And you didn't put a stop to this or tell us."

   "Well I got her to tell you now and no, I had no problem with my sister being with a girl. As long as she happy I am happy. You should be too," Alex said.

   "We can't be happy. She is dating a girl. That's a disgrace-"

   "It's not a disgrace. It's all in your heads. You are a homophobe and that's about it," Asterin yelled in irritation. Her dad got up and went up to her.

   "Don't you dare talk to your mother like that. You are not dating that girl. That's it. Break up with her right now and you are never to see her again," he said not even bothering to sign and walked away.

   "What if I don't uh? What if I'm still friendly with her?" She challenged.

   He turned around and said, "Then forget you have a father." Those words pierced her like hell. It hurt but she saw them coming. Her mother stormed towards her and caught her shoulders and started to shake her as she yelled, "what has she done to you? This is not you! She changed you!"

   "I'm still me, Ma. You both are the ones who are acting differently."

   "We are acting as any parents would. If you don't like that then don't talk to us."

   Asterin stood there feeling hopeless. She stormed off into her room with tears in her eyes. Alex ran behind her and locked the door behind him. He pulled her into his arms and let her cry on him.

   "They said they wanted me happy. I am happy now. Why can't they see that?"

   She pulled away so she could see what he has to say.

   "They will eventually. Don't worry."

   "What if they split us. I don't want to break up with Aelin. I love her."

   "As long as I'm there, they won't."

   "You will be going back to Alaska in two days. What if they do something then?"