Chapter 31

"What is it darling?" Nan Dolly asked.

   She intertwined her fingers with Aiden's as she spoke, "I'm in love with someone who is both male and female. Aiden is gender fluid. Sometimes its Aelin, sometimes its Aiden. Sometimes they are just genderless and preferred to be called Aay. Remember I posted a picture with my friend Aelin well this is Aelin. I love them. No matter who They chose to be or what gender they choose I love this person beside of me and I hope you all are okay with it too."

   No one said a word. Everyone was confused and speechless. Molly came to say something but her husband Josh gave her a hard glare making her stop.

    "Who wants s'mores?" Niv yelled and everyone screamed, "Me." Once again they all started chanting completely ignoring Aiden. Asterin looked at him and he mouthed, "I'm sorry." She put her hand on his cheek and shook her head.

    "I still love you and it's not your fault." He nodded.

    "I'm gonna go inside. I'm feeling a bit sleepy." Asterin's knew he was lying.

   "I'm coming with you."

   "No. You have to stay here. They need you here."

   "But I-"

   "Please.  Don't make this worse. I just need some time alone," he said.

   "Okay promise me you won't do anything stupid," she said and gave her hand. He nodded and gripped it. He brought her hand close to his lips and kissed her knuckles before he got up and walked away. Alex immediate nudged her.

   "Where is he going?"He signed.

   "He wants to be alone for a while."

   "I'm sorry." She nodded and he wrapped his arm around her as she leaned on him.

   Jack looked around finding everyone busy talking so he crept up to Asterin and sat beside her. He patted her shoulder to draw her attention.

   "Hey Rinny the Tiny bear," he said.

   "Hey, Jack the hot pack." They both laughed at their ridiculous childhood nicknames.

   "Gosh I miss those days," he said.

   "Me too."

   "Soooooo Uhm I uhmmm Aiden is a girl?" He didn't sign this time. He didn't want anyone to know what they were talking about.

   "Yes."

    "What does that make you?"

    "A loving, supporting girlfriend who loves them just the way they are."

    "Are we supposed to use pronouns like them and they?"

    "Well, its convenient most times. Like if you are confused what pronoun to use you can just go with they and them. Most times I could tell when they are Aelin or Asterin so I use she or he that time."

   "How do you identify them?"

   "Well Aiden wears glasses and Aelin wears lens. Well Aay. I'm still learning.  Mostly Aay just wears loose hoodies and their hair is really messy." Jack nodded.

   "Well if you have chosen them to love. Then we love them too."

   "We?"

   "Yeah Niv too. She's scared of mum so she is sitting there. She told me to tell you that you got our vote and support," he said. Asterin pulled him into a hug and said, "Thank you."