Chapter XVI

Jaeseop I

The blood red moon reign over the dawn sky, a red blot of heavenly object that bled above the Hall of Worthies like an open wound.

A scholar stood on the windswept veranda outside his chambers. It was here the ravens and pigeons came, after long flight. Their droppings speckled the veranda roof that rose twelve feet tall.

The scholar did not believe in omens. And yet . . . old as he was, Jaeseop had never seen

the moon half so bright, nor yet that color, that terrible color, the color of blood and flame and

sunsets. He wondered if his predecessor had ever seen anything like it.

Such folly. He leaned against the inner wall, the old wood rough beneath his fingers. Prophecies and bad omen in the sky. I am an old done man, grown giddy as a child again.

Had a lifetime's hard-won wisdom fled him along with his health and strength? He is a scholar, trained and earned his stripe in the great Suwon's Hall of Worthies,a greatly revered institution of learning built by Great King Sejong.

What had he come to, when superstition filled his head as if he were an ignorant field hand?

"Head Scholar Jaeseop, your presence is required at the Council Hall." Pyo spoke softly, as if loath to disturb Jaeseop's solemn meditations. Had he known what drivel filled his head, he would have shouted.

The old man turned away from the dawn, keeping a hand on his cane to steady

himself. "Help me there now,child"

Taking his arm, Pyo led him to the Council Hall. Where the High King and his Head Minister met daily in dawn like these. But perhaps the first one,where the moon are now crimson red.

In his youth, Jaeseop had walked briskly, but he was not far from his eightieth name day now, and his legs were frail and unsteady. Trudging along the winding outer hall of Gyeongbukgung palace ornamented with many red pillar.

Last year when he took ill, the High King sent Pyo,courteous and considered a promising scholar among his colleague,a man in his early twenty to help him in his labors, it was said, but Jaeseop knew the truth. Pyo had come to replace him when he died. He did not mind. Someone must take his place, and sooner than he would like to admit but without a shred of regret. For he had lived a fruituous life,venturing the Orient Vastland from Liaodong peninsula all the way south to Fragrant Isle,serving the High King,back then he called Captain. Captain of The Defiant Tiger.

He served him faithfully as his scribe and chronicler of his journey from his humble origin until now.

at the door of the council hall stood guard Sir Juntae with his trusted ugly greatsword in his grasp.

his roaring sound of greeting woke Jaeseop up from a temporary daze caused by lack of sleep. With ease,Juntae open the heavy oak door where Jaeseop and Pyo briskly enter.

The Council Hall only contains a long table and chairs,at the head sit the High King in his black flowing robe,slouching with his chin rested on his fist. The chamber wall is modestly furnished only with a detailed map of Goryo Peninsula at the wall,right behind where the High King is currently seated. Present in the council hall are all the Head Minister: Hwang Yisu and Grand Admiral Yi,Byunghun,Seonghan along with his wife Seonnok,Black Hare and two of Jaeseop's brother,Jaeshin and Jaein while stood brooding over the map are the High King's right hand man Ran Geun.

He let the younger man settle him behind his seat,readied at the table are quilt,ink and papers. "Go and prepare all the necessity required for my morning tutor with the lordling and little lady,today is the day they learned about landed titles,honorary titles and homage" Pyo nod and heading for the exit.