8. The only good dragon is a dead one... Right?

I woke up to the sun hitting my face and I groaned. I sat up and rubbed my eyes. For a second I had forgotten where I was. But remembering the warmth I felt, I felt my heart leap. I spent the night with Virgil again. I smiled to myself as I got up and made my way to the kitchen. I checked the table and spotted a note underneath a thing of coffee.

"I'll be right back. Getting things for breakfast. Pat..." I chuckled at the tiny smiley face he put after his name. But that smile was short lived, when I spotted what he put at the bottom. "Don't be scared? Why would I..."

There was a loud crash and I ran out of the kitchen, only to freeze in place. There by the cliffside opening was a very big Dragon... And I meant BIG. I just about shit my pants. I narrowed my eyes and my face paled. It was the same dragon from the flyer. What was it doing here? I scrambled for my sword as it laid it's head down on the stone flooring, Its eyes closed as if going to sleep. I don't understand. Why would a dragon be here? Did they know about...

Is that why it's so warm here?

I inched my way closer only to find the dragon not moving. It must not know I'm here. This is my chance. I might not get this opertunity again. It's a fucking dragon, like the hell! I held my sword up and poised myself to strike.

"ROMAN DON'T HURT HIM!" I spun around to find Patton standing there frozen with fear. "Please... Don't hurt him."

"It's a dragon, Pat. Why shouldn't I?"

"He isn't dangerous." I let my sword drop as I stood there in utter confusion. 

"He's not dangerous? It's a dragon. There all dangerous. My kingdom is about to go to war do you really think that I'm just going to let a threat like this g..." I felt something push up against my leg and I froze. I looked down to find the dragon nuzzling his nose into me, like a dog would to there owner. 

"He isn't Roman. I promise. The only reason he's here is because I told Virgil you had left." My eyes went wide and my sword dropped to the floor. "He rarely ever leaves during the day if at all and it's only to stretch or whatever. He doesn't attack anything. He doesn't eat during the day. You don't have to be scared of him..." I looked away and Patton started to cry. "Please... don't do it. You promised you'd keep an open mind."

"YOU NEVER SAID ABOUT A FUCKING DRAGON!"

"So?! Please..." I felt the dragon nuzzle me again as if subconsciously knowing I was upset and wanting to help me. I picked up my sword and just left. I left Patton. I left the dragon. I left Virgil. I'm a dragon slayer. I just can't...

I got back to the castle and just went into my room. I was angry. I was hurt. I was confused. I didn't know what to do. If I left the dragon alone, I risk it attacking my kingdom at such a vulnerable time. If I take care of it... I lose Virgil for good, and that hurts me more than anything. 

I collapsed on my bed and just stared at the ceiling, lost and confused about everything. I heard a knock on my door and I groaned, signaling I was there but not happy. The door slowly opened and Logan cautiously entered, unsure as to what I would do. I just spun around pulling the blanket around me like I was some sort of burrito. I felt as Logan sat down beside me and sighed.

"Boy problems?" I groaned again and he laughed. "I thought so. What happened?" I sat up throwing the blanket off of me and just sat there staring at nothing. "Roman?"

"I don't know what to do?"

"Did he propose?" I glared at him and he started to laugh. "Then what's the problem."

"Ok so, lets say he has a friend that could be dangerous..." His eyes narrowed in confusion and looked away.

"How dangerous?" Destroy a kingdom, dangerous.

"Very..." I sighed running a hand through my hair. "But Patton said he isn't and there hasn't been any actual sighting of which they'd caused problems but... I just... I don't know if I should risk it."

"Roman." I looked up at him and saw him smile. "The person you care about, do they care about person?"

"Enough to try and hide them from me when I was over."

"And this... Patton assured you they weren't dangerous?" I groaned and fell back on my bed, staring at the ceiling again.

"Yes he did, but it isn't that simple."

"Nothing ever is, Roman." I looked over at him and saw him looking at his hands. "Maybe you should learn for yourself the type of person they are. Get to know them and then decide if it's worth the risk." Get to know a dragon?! I felt the fear rise up but fear of hurting Virgil was more. I sighed and nodded, making Logan smile. "Go." I shot him a look of confusion and he laughed. "You don't have to be here all the time. You be with them. I know you want to."

"Thanks Logan." I said as I hugged him tightly. "You always know what to say."

"It's my job... I am your older brother."