Chapter Twenty Three: The Lab

Start from the beginning

"Enough. Leave this instant, for you have already caused enough damage than necessary. You will tend to your other duties as normal and report back to your alpha to deliver the news." The woman snapped, her eyes holding anger.

The men looked at each other before nodding. "Yes, of course. Right away."

They send me one last hateful glare before they leave me sitting on the floor alone. I listen as their footsteps fade away until they are nothing.

The urge to flee is strong, but I do to wish to leave Donovan behind.

The woman squats down next to me and forces me to look her in the eyes. She examines my face and shakes her head. "Quite the damage they've done to you. But no worries, those wounds won't effect the tests at all." She says.

"Tests?" I ask, becoming nervous.

"Oh, fret not. Those are for me to worry about and for you to go through." She says.

That didn't make me feel any better at all, in fact, it made me feel worse. Donovan snarled at the woman when she looked a him.

"Rather, the more correct term is for both of you to go through. We've wasted too much time. The hour has come ad my subjects are ready." She says, yanking my up with gloved hands ad dragging more towards a white room.

I heard my mate growl and howl as she took my away, and it made my heart break. "Quite the charmer he is." The woman mutters to herself.

Metal tables with arm ad leg restraints line the large, white room filled with various machines ad tubes. I've never seen anything like this place before, and it frightens me.

What are they going to do to me? To us?

The woman forces me onto one of the metal tables and locks me into place. The restraints are tightly clasped around my skin and with no matter how much wriggling I do, they will not loosen.

She inserts needles into my skin and hooks me up onto machines of some sort. I start to panic, and when the woman looks me into the eyes, she catches my fear.

"Despite what it may seem, we are not the enemy here, Anya. We are only trying to help you and your mate." She tells me with sincerity in her voice.

I don't know if I can trust her or not. Why would my master, who hates me as a being, send me to someone who would help my mate and I?

"I don't believe it. Why would my master send me to someone who would help me? He hates me." I ask the woman.

She looks around, as if checking for any ears that would be listening. Then, she leans forwards cautiously. "Maybe they don't know who we really are or who we really work for behind closed doors." She says, her voice low as if she doesn't want anyone else to hear her.

Her words stun me.

She swiftly turns her back on me and several other people enter the lab with me. They wear lab coats, too, and hospital masks are clasped over their features. I can't distinguish if they are male or female, as their faces are completely guarded by masks that distorts their identity.

They rush over to me, my panicked eyes wandering around to each of their faces. I don't trust them. How can I trust them, any way? I'm in a room full of large strangers that holds large needles in their hands.

I watch as one readys a needle and no matter how much I move, I cannot break free. To my horror, the needle is lowered until it rests just against the skin of the inside of my arm.

"Hold her still." He says to the others.

Hands grip my shoulders and they push me down further into the table. Before I know it, I feel the head of the needle pierce my flesh. It sinks deep and I wince as I feel the sharp pain spread throughout my arm.

And then my body.

I uncontrollably twitch and spasm and I groan as a burning pain takes a hold of my body. The team of doctors stands around me and watches me. I see the woman looking at me, too, with a blank face. Perhaps she is observing, or maybe she is enjoying my pain.

The pain washes over me like an ocean, leaving me panting for air. When the pain finally subsides, my body relaxes and I find sweet relief in the cold metal table that's pressed into my back.

"She's passed the test. Administer the next drug." She orders them.

"N-no, plea-"

"Pain shall come first, but you will thank us later for this, Anya." The woman says with promise in her voice.

I don't even have the strength to fight it when the next drug is forced into my system. This one burns more than the last and I look up at the woman with pleading eyes. Choked grunts leave my lips and my body tingles from the sharp pricks of pain.

Sweat falls from my face and drips onto my lips and table. I feel like I'm on fire and my muscles painfully restrict and contract.

The woman looks at me with a hint of pity in her eyes and wipes the sweat from my brow with a cloth.

"I promise you will fall asleep soon, it is only a matter of minutes, and then the pain will be merely a fading memory. When you awake, things will different." She tells me.

"W-what are y-you doing to m-me?"

"Hush, it is best if you don't talk through this process. Try to breathe and relax, and all will be revealed soon." She says, stroking my hair like a mother would her child.

My chest heaves off of the table with each surge of pain and my head falls to the side, facing the door. One particular surge of agony leaves me unable to move, and I feel crippled, helpless, weak, and nauseous.

My eyes begin to shut, but before I am dragged into unconsciousness, I see a large, unmoving black mass being wheeled in through the door.

"Bring him in and put him next to her." The woman orders, her voice echoing around me. 

Then everything fades away, taking my pain along with it.

*

*

*

Merry Christmas to you all! Just wanted to let everyone know who hasn't already, that my new werewolf story, The Cursed Lamb, has been published! Please check it out, I would really appreciate it, thank you :)

So, who is this woman?

Is she really to be trusted?

Until next time.....