Jen was grappling with another shifter at that moment, a man this time, whose movements looked a little too clumsy for a Seeker. She yanked the dagger from his hand, stabbing it into his heart as she turned to give me a look. "She should be... but she won't." She grumbled, exasperated.

The other shifter seemed to take that in, excusing himself before he got back into the throng of fighting people. Jen tore the blade out of the Seeker’s body just in time to sink it into the eye socket of another approaching one, that man falling forwards, causing the knife to bury itself even deeper into his skull.

“You’re never going to change your mind on not fighting are you?” Jen asked, eyeing the chaos before her.

I shook my head, looking over my shoulder at her as I took a few steps towards said chaos. “Nope,” I muttered, just as the shift finally managed to happen, the feeling of my wolf form bursting from my human skin so good after such a long time without it. I could feel the wound already closing as I tore into the nearest Seeker I could find.

Of course not. I heard Jen mutter through our bond, her wolf coming up next to mine. She took one last look at me before she jumped into the crowd. I followed suit, tearing through Seekers so fast I had a hard time keeping track of how many I’d already massacred.

My wolf was overjoyed as the carnage fed her bloodlust, and I had to admit that it fed mine as well. After all the despicable things that these savages have done, there’s nothing they deserved more than to be wiped off of the face of this planet. I thought to myself as I tore another Seeker in half.

***

Most of the Seekers had been wiped out and the few that remained were fading fast around me. My lips turned up in a wolf grin under the blood that soaked my snout as I watched them slowly dying before my eyes. That is, until I felt the surge of pain in my abdomen, followed by the same sting in one of my hind legs’. I quickly looked over myself, finding both parts unharmed. Logan! I concluded; dread filling me so wholly it felt like it could overflow right out of my body.

I felt him call to me through our bond.  Logan, what's happening?! Are you hurt? I demanded, wanting to know the fate of my mate. I could feel his determination through our link, but there was something else there as well, something that made the fur on my body stand on end. I called out to Jen.

What’s wrong?! She inquired, her tone panicked. It’s Logan, we have to find him! Right now! I shrieked, Jen coming up behind me as I began fighting my way across the room, tracking my mate’s scent. I’ll call any available shifter to do the same. She informed me, my focus already back on my bond with Logan as he spoke again.

Don't worry about me. I just need you to listen for a second, okay? He said, my legs fighting to push on as a stifled pain lanced through my shoulder. I’m sorry I never told you this before, but you need to know that I love you more than anyone could ever love another.My heart leaped as he admitted he loved me, but when it began to beat again, its pace quickly turned into a banging as I realised that his confession sounded an awful lot like a goodbye.

Shifters gathered behind Jen and I as we continued to move forwards, my wolf cursing the vastness of the room we were currently in over and over again in my head. I forced myself to fight harder than I ever fought, thoughts of my mate’s safety the only thing occupying my mind. I need to get to him! I have to get to him! I repeated, over and over again in my head.

I’ve always needed to have your scent surround me more than the oxygen I breathe, and if I had the chance to, I’d want to hold you and never let you go. I want to live the rest of my life with you, but regardless of how little time we've had together; you have to know that that was the happiest time of my miserable life. I didn’t dare interrupt him as the tears began to pool in my eyes, my body beginning to ache from all the abuse I was putting it through.

Not Logan, I can’t lose Logan! I screamed to myself, keeping my panic from travelling through our bond. Gradually, my group of shifters made our way to the door at the end of the room, the one I could sense my mate had gone through, which opened up into a wide hallway. I began to sprint the moment I spotted the large crowed of Seekers gathered just mere meters away.

Everyone told me mates were a great thing, but nothing anyone could have ever said could have prepared me for all you have given me. I apologise for being too fucking dense to realise what I had any sooner and when we walk out of here, I promise that I'll make myself the man I know you deserve. I couldn’t control myself by then, knowing that my sobbing could be heard even through our mind link.

I forgive you Logan, I forgive you. Just please don’t die. I beggedI love you. Please just don’t leave me!  I yelled through our mental bond, his scent becoming stronger as I approached the swarm of Seekers. At a closer distance, I could finally see that they all surrounded my mate. I forced my legs to run faster, pumping my muscles as I fought to quicken my pace.

My heart wrenched as I saw my mate’s beaten and injured state, the Seekers lying dead at his feet filling me with pride as I realised how hard he’d fought and was still fighting as I approached him. So close, I thought to myself, quickly closing the distance between us.I’m almost there.

A growl fought its way up my throat as two more Seekers jumped onto my mate’s back, holding him down as I finally noticed Jackson standing above him, the blade in his hands glistening as he held it over my mate’s prone form.

I clamped my jaw shut, which was all I could do to keep from screaming and alerting them of my presence. No! No! No! No! I kept repeating it in my head, as if by saying it, it could change what was happening before my eyes.

In that split instant, it was like I was watching everything in slow motion, the blade coming down, the malice on Jackson’s face, but especially the way my mate stared unflinching at his father as he dove to kill him, aiming for his heart, where not even a werewolf could survive being struck. I felt pride at his expression, proud that he refused to go down looking like he feared the coward before him.

Logan’s words trickled into my mind barely a second before my decision was made; my mate would not die today, especially at the hands of his bastard of a father. I’m sorry, baby. The fact that he was crushed at the thought of letting me down was apparent in the way he sounded so broken as he apologised; my chest tightening painfully in response.

I didn't think twice before I threw my body forwards. I felt the cold of the blade as it cut through my chest, burying itself into my heart. My eyes met Logan’s for a second before I felt my body begin to shift back to human form as I began to weaken. Me too. I whispered to him, warmth spilling out onto my chest as my blood ran to the ground.