Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Logan’s POV

My foot tapped impatiently on the floor of the SUV as we drove to the Delaney Pack territory. I mind linked Jen. Yes Alpha? She muttered. Where are you headed? I demanded. Their scents are coming from the large clearing in the middle of the Delaney pack forest. We’re approaching it now, Alpha, came her response.

I was now thankful that my pack had memorized the layout of the surrounding territories; it made it a lot easier to navigate around at times like this. “They’re at the large clearing north of the Delaney Alpha House.” I instructed; the shifter at the wheel only giving me a brisk nod in response. I went through the messages on my phone; willing the journey to shorten.

The Delaney pack was a small one; if I wasn’t mistaken, they had two hundred members? I didn’t keep an eye on them because they weren’t a threat to my pack; if I did, it would only waste my time. The only reason I even bothered studying the territory of a pack that miniscule is because it was right next to mine.

The SUV finally turned into the clearing and the shifters from both the Delaney Pack and my own came into my line of sight. As I was reaching for the handle; my wolf began to get restless inside me. What is it?! I snapped. He was chanting something as he paced back and forth. He was speaking loudly but too fast for me to understand him. All I knew was that he was repeating a single word. I felt him trying to break out and alarm filled me.

Is something threatening outside?! I tried again. He just ignored me as he continued to move. I threw the door open; poised to attack but was met with stillness as I stepped out. I took a deep breath and caught a strange scent I’d never smelled before. It was odd but it was like it was compelling me to move forwards, towards the Alpha of the Delaney Pack; Jake. What the hell?! I exclaimed; my words ignored by my wolf as he continued to chant.

I saw something white appear by Jake’s hip which I soon identified as part of a skirt. My wolf finally slowed down enough for me to understand him. Mate, mate, mate, he said, that one word explaining the odd scent I'd detected.

Anger filled me when my wolf realised that our mate was hiding behind another male. Get her away from him! My wolf roared; so loud it hurt my head. Before I could react; a growl escaped my lips, my eyes probably turning black as it did. My mate pressed herself closer to Jake and that sent my wolf into frenzy. Possessiveness filled every fibre of my being as I watched her stand so close to another wolf.

I didn’t resist when my claw extended; more than happy with the thought of ripping Jake to shreds for touching what was mine. I walked forward; filled with rage. “Get away from her!” I growled; so loud everyone around Jake flinched and began to inch back. I felt some satisfaction at my ability to scare them but not enough to get rid of the anger that consumed me.

As I got closer, my mate moved out from behind Jake’s body. The sight of her, knocking the air out of my lungs; she was perfect. Her bright green eyes; framed by a thick layer of lashes, were filled with longing despite how threatening I must've looked then; with my wolf eyes and claws fully extended. Her hair was a deep brown that had flecks of gold in it; only visible as she was standing under the sunlight.

The brunette waves cascaded around her beautiful face; her skin smooth and unblemished. Her full lips were pink and it took all my effort not to run to her and crush my mouth to hers. The dress she wore had a short enough skirt to allow me a view of her long legs; the top showing off her well developed curves as it clung to her.

She began to take a step towards me when Jake grabbed her shoulder; the sight causing me to growl. If she weren’t in the way, I would have ripped his arm off. They began to talk; my anger drowning out their words. I only managed to catch one part where she said ‘my mate’ which had my wolf’s tail wagging happily like an excited puppy.

Jake nodded, and she moved until she was standing right in front of me. We just watched each other for a moment before she reached out to stroke my cheek. I felt little jolts of electricity from her fingers and heard a soft gasp when she felt it as well. The warmth the shocks left calmed my wolf enough to allow my claws to retract and my eyes to return to their usual grey.

“That’s right, I’m here, see? I’m fine.” I heard her say; her tone soothing. My wolf calmed down even more at her voice; the beautiful sound resembling a perfectly written melody. I grabbed her around the waist and pulled her against me to bury my head in the crook of her neck.

Lust filled me as I did because I could feel every part of her body against mine, even through her dress. Her delicate fingers playing with my hair had my wolf wistful as he rolled around happily inside me at having our mate so close. It took all the willpower I could gather not to mark her right there and then. Why not?! My wolf growled. You know why! I snapped. She’s our mate! My wolf responded.

My breathing returned to normal as her scent filled my lungs; the smell so compelling I had to force myself to pull away from her to glare at Jake. “What were you doing with my mate Jake?” I demanded; the little shocks I felt from my arms which were wrapped around her waist, helping to  restrain my wolf from bursting out of me at the thought of how close my mate had been to the other Alpha. Just as he was about to respond a shifter had run out of the woods.

His face was filled with confusion as he peered at my mate and I. His next words had me fuming. “Alpha Chelsea are you alright?” My eyes flashed back to black as I turned to glare at my mate. “Do you belong to Jake?” I bit out. I could feel her pain at my words through the bond and the feeling made my stomach drop. My wolf howled in agony as he felt it. When I realised she hadn’t responded; possessiveness filled me; my wolf assuming that her lack of response was her way of confirming my suspicions. I felt even angrier. “Answer me, I will not ask again!” I demanded. Do you see why I didn’t do it? She’s already hurt us! I yelled at my wolf.

Before he could respond, I felt anger blast at me through our bond right before she growled at me. My wolf and I were both a little shocked at her response. I hadn’t expected her to be so bold around me but her attitude was actually incredibly compelling. She narrowed her green eyes as they met mine. “Don’t talk to me that way.” She said as she pulled away; my wolf whimpering as she distanced herself from me.

I didn’t take to commands very well; even if they were from my mate. So, at her words I growled. “I can speak to you whatever way I please.” I yelled; the anger that filled my words making everyone watching the two of us, take a step back.

She crossed her arms over her chest. “No.” I couldn’t think of anything she would have been saying no to at that moment so I only responded with a ‘what?’ “No, I don’t belong to Jake. He’s my brother.” She clarified as she began to move back to the other side of the clearing. My wolf called out to hers as panic filled him; pleading for her to come back to us. The moment she reached him; Jake pushed her behind him, the sight making me growl.

How dare he think she needed protection from her own mate! I muttered. I told you we could trust her! She wouldn’t do something like that! My wolf growled. Anger filled me at his words as memories from our past filled my mind. Just like he shouldn't have right?! We both thought he wouldn't do what he did either! I snapped back.

***

Jake and I had just finished discussing the territory breach issue when I realised something. “Chelsea is coming with me back to Blood Moon territory.” I stated.

Jake’s eyes snapped up to me as he glared. “No, she’s not!” He snapped; his distrust towards me coming through loud and clear.

“She’s my mate and is going to stay with me.” I said; my tone firm as I threw the door to Jake’s office open and marched to her room; following her scent until I finally came to her door.

When I threw it open; I found her eating cake as she lay on her stomach on the bed; still fully dressed; shoes and all. Her sleeveless dress gave me a good view of the top of her breasts as she stopped mid bite from my sudden intrusion.

The sight of her; with her hair sexily messy around her gorgeous face and her skirt; hitched up from her sprawled position on the bed; had lust spreading though me immediately. “Chelsea, pack your things.” I demanded; her name feeling so right on my tongue.

Her brother spoke up. “Chels, don’t listen.” He pleaded. I thought you didn’t want to. My wolf said. I don’t, I just need her. I responded. You’re going to hurt her. He murmured. I couldn’t disagree. I know.