Chapter 10

Chapter 10

I was floating in sweet, dark, oblivion when something jumped onto my bed; making me bounce. My wolf was alarmed for a moment until Jen’s scent hit me. I groaned and swatted at her arms as she gripped my shoulders; shaking me to try and wake me up. “Go, away!” I muttered; reaching for a pillow.

The first one I grabbed, I threw in her general direction; too lazy to open my eyes to aim. She chuckled as I heard it thud on the floor; probably failing miserably to hit her. “Come on sleepy head! It’s already ten!” She exclaimed; as she began bouncing; jostling me around. I growled at her. Even with my eyes closed; I could sense her rolling her eyes at me.

It had been five days since Logan had left for his pack business; and despite his nothing-but-cold behaviour towards me, I missed my mate, even though he was an ass every time he was around. It wasn’t just his presence I missed; I also missed his scent, the sound of his voice, even the way his eyes would narrow at me when I said something to agitate him; which was always. He is not an ass! My wolf snapped. Obviously, she had already forgiven him.

 It had also been more than a week since the last time I’d shifted so I didn’t argue with her. The past few days; any small agitation I’d felt had resulted in me shaking; my body prepared to shift, so I couldn’t risk it. There is no telling what my wolf would do if she went out of control.

I felt her irritation from not being free and I had to agree with her. Every day that went by without shifting made me more and more tempted to just let go and give in to it but I couldn’t; for Jen’s sake. Before Logan had left; he’d commanded Jen to keep me cooped up in the house; human at all times. And if there's one thing I knew about this pack, it was that none of them would ever dare defy their Alpha.

The only good thing from his little trip was the fact that Jen had to sleep over at the house to make sure I didn’t try anything during the night. She and I had the time to bond, so she was practically my sister now. That explains why she doesn’t jump at every playful growl I throw her way; it was both a good and bad thing.

It was bad because it wasn’t very easy to mess with her anymore and good because I finally had a best friend; an amazing one at that. She also didn’t call me Luna anymore, which pleased me because, number  one: it reminded me of my mate’s behaviour and number two: it made me feel old.

When I didn’t move from underneath my very comfortable covers, she began a horrible rap that she’d invented herself about mornings. The sound of her horrible lyrics had me launching out of bed immediately; my ears still too used to silence to withstand her horrible singing at this time of the day. “Please don’t!” I pleaded as I made a sad face at her. She made a horribly exaggerated pouting face at me.

“Aw, you don’t like my rap?” She said; her voice filled with mock sadness.

“No.” I simply stated before getting up to take a shower. Before I closed the door, my stomach rumbled. I turned back to Jen. “I’m starving, could you make breakfast?” I pleaded.

She smirked as an idea came to her. “Say my cooking is amazing first.” She said; obviously pleased with herself.

I smirked back at her. “My cooking is amazing.” I replied, before dashing into the bathroom and closing the door on her irritated face before she could form a reply.

After my shower, I pulled on a black camisole and a pair of dark skinny jeans over my underwear. I shoved my feet into a pair of black ankle boots and ran a brush through my hair before jogging downstairs; following the delicious smell emanating from the kitchen.

I popped my head in and spotted the huge buffet laid out on the island. Jen was pouring herself a glass of apple juice when I walked in; her plate filled with pancakes, sausages, eggs and a tower of toast. I plopped down in the seat beside her and looked around for the orange juice. “Do we have any orange juice?” I asked; still looking around.

“I think we have some in the fridge.” She replied; her words muffled by the toast she’d stuffed in her mouth. I rummaged around in the fridge and brought the carton back to my seat with me. I sighed. Jen raised a brow as she turned to look at me; her mouth filled with eggs then.

“I’m going to get fat, if we don’t go out and exercise soon.” I murmured; pretending to look sad as I stared down at my full plate. I had been dropping hints that I wanted to shift for the past couple of days; but Jen had always managed to change the subject. As usual, she did just that and spent the rest of our meal stuffing her mouth so she wouldn’t have to talk to me. After breakfast we quickly washed up then moved to laze around in the living room, as we always do.

After a few boring minutes of watching T.V., I couldn’t take it anymore. “Let’s go for a run.” I suggested, getting up. I was done with beating around the bush so I decided to just come right out and say it. “I want to shift.”

She shook her head. “You know we can’t Chels.” Did I mention that she started using my nickname? “Alpha Logan would behead me.” She said; making a show of running her hand across her throat.

I sighed as I threw my butt back down onto the couch. “I know; I was just hoping that you would change your mind.” I said; my elbow pressed to my knee as I rested my head on my hand.

***

We’d watched a few movies; had spaghetti and meatballs for lunch; then finally played some board games to get through the day; my wolf getting more and more agitated with every excruciatingly slow hour that passed. When I finally crawled into bed; the urge to shift was almost unbearable.

I want to run! She growled. I do too. I admitted; jumping out of bed. I felt bad for going against Jen but my body couldn’t take not shifting for any longer; it also didn’t help that the Alpha blood running through my veins made my wolf incredibly strong.

I got dressed in one of my oversized t-shirts; the thing so big it reached halfway down my thighs and shoved my feet into a pair of worn out boots before I climbed out my bedroom window as quietly as I could. The moment my feet touched the grass outside, I sprinted towards the forest.

I looked around; making sure I was alone before I shrugged out of all my clothes. I tied them loosely around my leg before placing my boots on a branch to avoid any damage from the animals. After I was sure they were secure I let the shift happen; my wolf happy to comply after being locked away for so long. White fur sprouted from my skin as my bones began to rearrange themselves, all of them clicking into place at once. The loose tie was now snug against my leg; letting me move around without any interruption.

I breathed in deeply, enjoying the woodsy smell of the forest that wafted to me with the cold night breeze. I felt the muscles ripple under my skin as I bent my legs; prepared to launch myself forward.

I started running; letting every thought go as I sprinted deeper into the forest; the trees rushing by in a blur. I enjoyed the feeling of the cold night air as it blew through my fur, my lips turning up in a wolf-grin. I pumped my legs harder; propelling my body forward, a little tension escaping me with every step I took.

***

My muscles were sore when I finally stopped by a small stream. I drank a few gulps of water before collapsing on the ground. I crossed my paws and rested my head on them; fully contended from my very long run. I felt my wolf’s happiness as well; which only served to make me even happier. After all these days of suffering, she really deserved a little happiness; even if it was only for a little while.

I looked up; the brightening sky making me realise that I must’ve been running the whole night. I closed my eyes as exhaustion took over my body; the ground feeling as comfortable as my bed in my current state. Something at the back of my mind was nagging at me but I was too preoccupied with being tired to bother figuring out what it was.