Chapter 1

I woke up to the sound of something crashing downstairs. Every cell of my being was alert the moment the sound fell on my ears. I barely felt the freezing floor beneath my feet as I jumped out of bed, falling into an attack stance as the door to my room was thrown open.

The man in the doorway was tall; almost 6'2 with blonde, messy hair that looked like it was styled to always look that way, over his bright green eyes that matched my own. His broad shoulders and muscled chest were covered in a form-fitting green jersey over the dark jeans that concealed his long legs. His many conquests considered him attractive, though in that moment I had to object. "Chelsea!" He purposely raised his voice making my sensitive ears, being so used to silence after a night of slumber, ring.

I turned to climb back under the covers, grabbing a pillow on the way which I aimed at his face. I couldn't help my grin when the impact forced his head back a considerable amount. I caught sight of the clock. "It's only seven you monster! Let a girl sleep."

I realised a second too late that the pillow was flying right back at me. I dodged the flying white blur just in time to watch it smack onto the headboard of my king-sized bed. "Good aim, Alpha!" I said giving him a taunting smirk.

"Did someone say birthday?!" An excited voice singsonged as another person entered my room carrying a large cake, smothered in chocolate frosting and dusted with chocolate flakes. Twenty one candles had been arranged neatly on its top. "Or did you forget that it's today?" He said, smiling.

This guy had short brown hair over his kind, hazel eyes. He was almost as tall as Jake and equally as muscular. As painful as it was to admit, considering I had grown up with these two constantly being a pain in my ass, puberty had done them well, which wasn't really a surprise because they were both werewolves. Jake was the Alpha of the Delaney Pack; previously run by our father, Timothy Delaney. Dylan was his best friend and Beta. Oh, and in case it hasn't clicked, though if you meet us its painfully obvious, that Jake is my over-protective older brother.

I came and sat down beside them as I closed my eyes and made a wish, for the health and happiness of my loved ones, before blowing out every candle. Dylan nudged me, a smirk on his face. "Wish for anything interesting?" He wiggled his eyebrows as he finished his question.

My brother and I knew exactly what he was suggesting. I was now fast approaching maturity, and for our species that meant that my inner wolf would be able to sense her other half, the wolf that was made for us. We had always been taught that the bond was meant to complete our souls, and was revered amongst our people. Jake grimaced before shooting his best friend a look. "Dude ew."

I shoved at him playfully. "Hey! Don't be rude!" Dylan just laughed as he watched us play fight, with Jake rather dramatically feigning defeat. 

He groaned. "And I was-" he fake-coughed up imaginary blood "just about to give you-" he pulled a gift bag from the floor beside the bed "this." He exhaled loudly as his eyes shut. I ignored his antics and retrieved the gift. He peeked up at me. "Now that's just cold."

I gave him a look. "That's what you deserve for putting empty cereal boxes back in the cupboard."

He sat up, looping an arm around my neck as he put me in a half-hearted headlock. "Smartass."

I giggled as I easily escaped his hold. I extended my claws and shredded through the wrapping paper, revealing a smartphone box. I lifted the lid and pulled the sleek object out, running my hand over its smooth surface turning the dark gadget over and over again in my hand.

Don't get me wrong, I do have a phone just like every other teenage girl on the planet. The thing was, my phone was so old it could barely send a text message without lagging at least ten times. I'd been saving up to buy a new one for a while now but Jake had kept me from doing so, even though my old phone had been falling apart after years of abuse.