Chapter 22

Hey everyone, I'm sorry this took so long but it's been a really crazy past few days for me. I'm trying my best to get the next chappie out ASAP. Enjoy!

-Roxy

Chapter 22

Crack! The sound was faint but my heightened hearing noticed it effortlessly. I peered out my window; straining to see what it had been. This was my fourth night in Jen and Ethan’s house and every night since I’d gotten here I always felt like someone was watching me from outside my window.

The idea of someone spying on me during the night gave me the creeps but I would rather endure it than go back and face Logan while he lived his life happily without me. The thought of my mate had my heart aching immediately. My wolf whimpered every morning when I’d just woken up and every night before I slept; begging me to go back to him.

She wasn’t the only one who wanted to go back; it felt like every cell in my body pulsated with my need for him, but I had made him a promise. It wasn’t just any promise; it was one made for the sake of his happiness and there was no way I was going to risk any chance I had left of mending our bond by trying to force myself into a part of his life he didn’t want me to fill.

So, for the past few days I’d struggled to keep my distance; narrowly managing to resist running back a few times. I listened out for any sounds from Jen or Ethan’s rooms but both were quiet. I tiptoed over to my bag and pulled out the torn shirt that I had been wearing the last time I’d woken up in Logan’s house.

Blood; my blood, was still on the fabric below the holes where he’d cut me, the splotches already brown as they had already dried a while ago. I hadn’t washed it since I left because I couldn’t risk compromising whatever bit of my mate’s scent that still clung to that piece of cloth. I knew it was pathetic but I had no other choice.

That was all that helped to lessen the constant ache in my heart that was always present every second I was away from him. I slipped back under the covers of my temporary bed and buried my face in Logan’s shirt; holding it tightly to my chest as I did my best to pretend that it was actually him that I had in my arms.

***

I woke up the next morning to the sound of knocking on my door. “Chels, breakfast is ready!” I heard Jen say from the other side of the door; her voice muffled by the wood. I folded Logan’s shirt and slipped it back into its hiding place before I washed up; pulling my hair into a loose ponytail.

I jogged downstairs; the smell of waffles and orange juice wafting out of the kitchen making my stomach rumble. I walked through the doorway to find both Jen and Ethan; who was shirtless despite my presence, at the kitchen island. I took a waffle from the steaming stack beside the stove and poured myself a glass of juice before taking a seat beside him.

“Morning,” I muttered as I drowned my poor, unaware waffle, in a river of maple syrup.

“Luna, no offence, but that’s a plate full of diabetes.” Ethan replied before scooping a piece of his own waffle into his mouth.

“I prefer it this way.” I retorted; not heeding his words as I slipped a piece into my mouth, taking an extra spoonful of syrup from my plate just to spite him. He just sighed before he gulped down the rest of his juice.

“I’ve got to agree with my brother on that one Chels.” Jen muttered as she stared at my plate in disgust. I just ate another piece in response. She opened her mouth to say something else before a message vibrated through her mind. Based on the dazed look on Ethan’s face; who had frozen with his head tipped up and his glass still pressed up to his lips, he was getting the same one.