Chapter 18

Chapter 18

I kept my face buried in my knees as I continued to cry, the sobs wracking my whole body. I could feel him move closer despite my protests and my wolf immediately cringed. She surprised me as she began to tuck into herself; trying to sink as far into my mind as possible. I did the same physically; pulling my knees so close to my body that it began to hurt.

He took his shirt off and draped it around my shoulders. I wanted to shake it off; but it was the only thing I could use at the moment to hide my naked body from my mate. I held the two ends together at my chest and began to stand up; ignoring Logan's presence as I moved. When I took one step forward, I accidentally stepped on a glass shard; the result of something I'd broken during the fight.

Before I could do anything; the shard imbedded itself deep into my foot, not helping me keep upright on my already shaky legs. I didn't even have time to reach out to brace myself for impact before I fell to the ground; or I would've if Logan hadn't grabbed me. I wanted to hit him for even touching me; but I was too weak, the fight and the emotional purge I'd just gone through weighing down on me at once.

I was fucking irritated with my own weakness but I couldn't even muster enough energy to stand anymore; let alone hit someone with enough force for it to be satisfying. And seeing as that person was Logan; it would have to be a lot of force.

In one swift motion; I was in his arms, one side of my body pressed to his firm chest. He easily carried me into the kitchen; gently placing me on the island counter before he disappeared to go and get something. I lifted my foot and saw part of the shard sticking out of it. I gritted my teeth and began to pull it out; the damn thing bigger than I'd expected it to be. I screamed when I'd gotten half of it out; my blood beginning to drip to the floor.

Logan was by my side in a moment; his expression filled with worry as he took me in. He grabbed my hand and pried my fingers away from the glass; letting me notice that the glass had also cut me in the fingers when I'd been pulling it out. "Fuck." I muttered.

Logan assessed my injuries for a moment before his grey eyes came up to meet mine. "This will hurt." He explained bluntly; motioning to his hand as he prepared to pull the glass sticking out of my foot, out. He tentatively held his other hand out to me to hold.

If only I was stronger! I yelled to my wolf; seriously wanting to attack Logan again. She didn't respond; just stayed tucked away from reality in the recesses of my mind. I weighed my options and decided to take that little bit of comfort he was offering me; considering it was one of those rare times he seemed to care when he was sober. He seemed surprised when I took his hand; his beautiful grey eyes widening slightly. I grasped it in one of mine as my other hand kept Logan's shirt around my body.

I had to admit that the contact helped to calm my nerves a little; the little shocks I always felt when we touched soothing some of my pain; despite what my mate had done to me; both physically and mentally. I gave him a brisk nod before he began to pull the piece of glass out of my flesh. I did my best to keep the screams in; biting down on my bottom lip so hard it began to bleed.

I grasped Logan's hand as hard as I could, the action also helping me cope with the pain. I felt my body beginning to accustom itself to the horrible feeling; making me realise that I couldn't even remember the last time I wasn't aching; my life since I met Logan feeling like it was filled with nothing but agony.

I felt the pulling and tugging on my skin stop so I exhaled in relief; letting out a breath I hadn't realised I'd been holding. I looked up at him; my elevated position on the kitchen island not changing the fact that I was shorter than him, and found my mate looking sympathetically down at me. He reached out to me slowly; as if I was a frightened wild animal that was about to run away. I guess in some ways; I was. When I didn't pull away; he used his thumb to pull my lower lip out from beneath my teeth. "Did it hurt that bad?" He asked quietly.