Shattered Memories

Ethan

I was sitting peacefully in my room,  curled up,  typing away at my phone.

Suddenly I got a message from Evelyn.

Evelyn:  Something CRAZY just happened!  And not in a good way!

Me:  What? 

Evelyn: Meet me at McDonald's in twenty.

I placed my phone in my pocket and headed downstairs where my mom was busy chopping onions.

The soothing voice of Sinatra rung in the atmosphere, giving the room a rather jazzy aura.

"Mom,  I'm coming right back.  I gotta meet Evelyn." I said.

She turned and smiled.  "Alright. Come soon.  Getting dark. "

I nodded and slipped out the door and into the chilly evening.

***

"I'll have a,  um... Twin McFlurry please." I said, smiling up at the waitress.

She nodded,  writing down my order.

We stared at Evelyn,  who seemed rather lost in thought.

"How about you,  miss?" The waitress asked.

Evelyn looked up from the menu,  which had remained closed all this time.

"Oh,  um,  I'm fine... Thanks." She said.

I studied her face and wondered what was bothering her.

"You can,  uh,  tell me now you know.  Get it off your chest. " I said.

She sighed,  looking up at me.

"I... I was at the mall,  and I saw Justin running to the food court. I wondered why so I followed him.  I got there and when I found him I realized he was sitting tight across from Sapphire.  I didn't suspect much until she leaned across the table and kissed him.  I moved a bit closer and headed them talking about you Ethan."

I blinked a few times,  registering what Evelyn had just said.

Before I could ask my question,  the waitress came and set my drink on the table.

"Anything else? " She asked.

I shook my head.

"What exactly were they saying? " I said, sipping on my shake.

"Sapphire was saying she was going to find some way to break us up.  She still wants you,  Ethan.  Justin thinks it's just fun and games,  but the girl's gonna use him to her advantage!  You can't believe anything she or he says or does between today and tomorrow evening.  It'll just break what we have to pieces. "

I sighed, closing my eyes to capture everything in my mind.  The quiet voices of customers blurred out and my mind spinning.

I had too many emotions whirling around in my head to think straight.,  so I listened to my heart.

Justin was going to pay,  and I was sure that the memories of our friendship weren't going the be the only things left shattered.