Mutual Feelings

Evelyn

I stared down at the boy below me, lost in thought...and his swollen eye.

I awkwardly shifted off of him, offering my hand to help him up. Thankfully, he took it.

"So..."

"So..."

I looked down at my hands and started picking at my nails. The silence and tension was killing me, and we were both oblivious to the elephant in the room. I looked up briefly and caught him looking at me.

"Ev, what's wrong?" He asked.

Don't cry...

"It's...nothing."

I attempted to walk away but he caught my wrist.

"Ev, what's wrong?"

I turned to him, my despair transitioning into anger. "Nothing! What part of that don't you freaking understand?"

I figured he'd let me go but the grip on my wrist became tighter.

"You're not gonna run away. I'm tired of it!"

I glared at him. "Me? Run away? You're one to talk! You run away from literally everything! How'd you get that black eye? By hitting the door on your way out?!"

His grip was wavering.

"I don't need you, Ethan. I don't know what you want from me anyway."

His hand was now loosely locked around my wrist.

I pulled my hand away and was about to walk away when suddenly, Emma, a girl from the cheerleading team walked up.

"Hey you two! The Winter Formal's coming up! I totally ship you guys, so please attend!" She said, giving me a flyer. She cocked her head to the side when she saw my face, though.

I stared down at the flyer and back up at Ethan.

I felt my anger surge back up and shoved the paper at him, watching it fall to our feet. "Feel free to take your lame excuse of a girlfriend with you."

I walked away without a single word, not caring about the heart I had just broken.

After all, the feeling was probably mutual.