Still

Evelyn

I rushed down the hall. I was five minutes late. Five crappy minutes...

I nearly ran past my History class due to an absent mind. I knocked on the door and heard a faint "Come in!"

I turned the knob and everyone was busy catching up. Ms. Tequile was on her phone again as I walked towards my usual seat.

Except there was one problem; it was occupied.

There (in my seat) sat Sapphire Williams, checking on her eyebrows in her selfie cam.

I was not in the mood for bull crap, so I scanned the room for and empty seat. Luckily, I found one. However, it was right next to Ethan's.

I took a deep breath and headed towards the seat, my heart palpitating hard and fast. This'll be weird...

I hung my bag over the side of the wooden chair and sat down slowly, as if sitting on ice. I took out my books and pretended to read them. I kept my eyes glued on page 37 like my like depended on it.

At one point, however, I had the urge to look over at Ethan.

He wore a black hoodie that read 'Minor Threat' and black ripped skinny jeans. The outfit was complemented by a pair of black Vans. His hood was pulled low over his head, but I could still notice he had his earbuds in. They were the cool kind that go around the ear. They were also the kind I was too lazy to deal with on a daily basis.

I studied him for a while. Him walking in on Ash and I in the kitchen was just so wrong. He probably thought I was the kind of girl you hit-and-run for fun but Ashton and I were official. I wanted to prove to him that I wasn't that cheap of a person, moreover a friend. But how?

I cleared my throat to get his attention. He didn't even flinch. I looked down at his phone screen and saw he was on YouTube watching a Fall Out Boy music video. I fought the urge not to fangirl.

I cleared my throat again. Harder this time.

His eyes darted quickly from the screen to me and back. Oh, so he's ignoring me...

I smirked and pulled his hood down. He pulled out one earbud and paused the video. "What the hell, Ev?" He said.

I flashed him my best smile. "A 'good morning, Evelyn' would've been much appreciated, you know." I said.

He rolled his eyes, but I could still see a smile tugging at the corner of his lips. "Whatever." He said. He was about to put the earbud back in when I blurted out, "I'm sorry."

He raised a brow. "Hmm?"

I rubbed my arms. "Well, I should've told you..."

He nodded for me to continue.

I took a deep breath. "Ashton and I are dating now."

I had never seen him go so still.