Love

Ethan

Emotions. Torrents of them just waiting to be released were whirling inside me. I stared blankly at her shut eyelids and tried to keep my emotions at bay.

I pulled away. "Ev, now's not the time...you're not thinking straight right now..."

She shook her head. "Ethan, no. I know what I want," she said, holding my hand, "I want you..."

I can't do this to her. Not now, she's not okay.

I stood up and shook my head. "I can't do this to you, Ev. You're just looking for comfort and love...you don't mean any of this. I can't take advantage of you."

She stood up, too. "Ethan...please. I need you. I need you to hold me, to tell me it's okay!"

She grabbed my arm, tears brimming her emerald-green eyes.

I pulled away. "I can't do this, Ev. Goodbye."

And I walked out, my mind still spinning.

***

I walked down the familiar streets of New York, listening intently to the lyrics that blared in my ears. Drowning out all the confusion, the hustle and bustle... I couldn't stop thinking about Evelyn and what she said. Was it all just her mind playing tricks on her? Did she really mean the words that she said? Why had I reacted that way?  

I sighed and treaded on, until a thought crossed my mind. I suddenly stopped when the realization hit me.

I ran down the sidewalk, bumping into passers-by and not giving a damn. I ran up the porcelain white steps to the familiar building I dreaded both seeing and visiting every Saturday. I tore down the halls and came across a familiar door, written 'Geraldine Miller' in rusted gold.

I knocked on the mahogany door and waited rather impatiently.

Suddenly, there was a 'click!' and the door creaked open; its hinges crying for oil. I didn't even wait until she welcomed me in. I barreled through the door and turned to the feeble lady.

"Miss Miller, I was wrong." I said, panting.

She blinked confusedly. "About what?"

"My biggest fear."

She nodded. "What is it, Ethan?"

I looked deep into her eyes.

"It's love." I said.