Forever

Ethan

I watched as Ashton separated his hand from Evelyn's and sat up.

I sat still, waiting for his next move with baited breath. The way he looked at Evelyn, it was like he had completely forgotten I was there.

"I can't do this to you anymore." He said.

Here comes another sad breakup...

Evelyn kept her beady eyes on him, glimmering with hope and love for the guy that was soon to break her heart.

"It was a dare."

She scrunched her nose, "What was?"

Ashton sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Everything. Everything from the start. I never really..." he turned to her and looked deep into her eyes, "loved. You."

I stopped fiddling with my phone.

Evelyn went stiff and sat up. "I-I'm not getting you."

Ashton stood up. "Me and some other guys on the football team had this stupid game where we wrote down scores..."

"Scores for what?" Evelyn said, her voice shakier than usual.

"Girls. The ones we'd play and dump. There were categories, many actually. Each one had a higher standard..." he turned to her. "You were one of the higher ones."

This son of a....

"I didn't mean any harm, but after a while, the guilt crept up on me, and...I just couldn't." He bit his lip. "I'm so sorry, Evelyn. I didn't want Liz to know 'cause she'd think we were official and...crap I'm such a..." He blabbered.

I felt my heart rate increase and a sudden surge of adrenaline hit me.

I stood up and walked towards him, Evelyn was seated on the ground, tears spilling.

"Why would you do that? I never thought you'd stoop so low, Ash." I said.

I fought the urge to punch him dead.

"I know it was wrong, but I couldn't keep her on false hopes...I'll just...go." He Said, turning to Evelyn. "I'm sorry..."

And with that, he walked away, out of not one life, but two...forever.