Stiffness And Silence

Evelyn

"Evelyn. You're boyfriend here isn't who you think, can you imagine that? He went ahead and stabbed your back." She said, twirling her hair round her index finger.

I watched intently as her nail spun in endless circles. My heart was beating harder than ever before, and Ethan had suddenly been drained of all his gusto.

"I had a little get together at my place. You know, just a few friends..." she continued.

"Where are you going with this?"

"And Ethan here agreed to show up. We had fun and talked...then we played a game, and Ethan got a bit tipsy. Of course, being the good person I am, couldn't let him go home like that, so I took him to our guest bedroom, to, well, rest..."

I looked over at Ethan who was usually still. Like the time I'd told him about Ashton and I's relationship.

I scrunched my brows, waiting for the blonde to continue.

"As soon as we got into the room, Ethan here said something even I couldn't believe."

Still so still...

"That you're nothing but a distraction, Evelyn. In simpler terms, you're being used like a Kleenex. He doesn't love you, Evelyn."

I blinked. "Wait, what?"

"Sorry, I forgot you're an idiot. Let me break it down for you. Alcohol is a truth serum, right? And your boyfriend took a whole load of it. He told me how he's so 'steessed out' and needs 'something to distract' him. He said you were the distraction, Evelyn. Something to go to whenever he feels like, ya know?"

He said all of this? It can't be...

"Oh, really? And you expect me to believe what you're saying, Sapphire? Sorry, not happening."

She sighed, obviously agitated. "Well, why don't you ask him yourself, Sherlock?"

I turned to Ethan, who was still as stiff as a board.

"It's not true...is it?" I asked.

His eyes went shut and I heard him inhale sharply.

"Is it, Ethan?"

Silence.

I felt my heart skip a beat.

It is, isn't it...