So Much Better

Evelyn

"I've known you for a while, and I really, really like you..."

"And I love you. I want to be with you and be able to call you mine..."

"So, Evelyn...will you be my girlfriend?"

I sat there, staring at my white walls, rerunning the unforgettable evening through my head.

What would I do now?

Was he worth the tears?

Did I even care anymore?

I couldn't answer any of the questions forming a whirlwind in my mind. I didn't think I ever would.

Suddenly, I heard a knock on my bedroom door. My dad never knocks...

I stood up, looking at myself in the mirror. I looked like Frankenstein's daughter. My eyes were red and swollen, my hair looked like a bird's nest, and I couldn't stop sniffling.

I placed my hand on the knob and turned it weakly. I pulled the door open and came face-to-face with Ethan.

He wore a white T-shirt that read 'DNCE', black jeans and a pair of Nike's.

He wore a look of concern on his visage. "Hey, Ev...you okay?"

I sighed and felt more tears coming on. "No. I'm not."

He smiled warily. "Well, what can I do to make my friend smile again?"

I walked over to the bed and sat down. I placed my head in my hands and said, "Nothing, Ethan. There's nothing you can do."

I heard him approach the bed. "Hey, even a broken heart can beat again."

Now's not the time for Lauv lyrics...

"Look at me, Ev." He said, poking my arm.

I scooted away.

"I'm trying my best to be encouraging, and you know that's not my strong suit." He said, pulling my arm.

I gave in and looked up. Into his beautiful eyes.

"He's not worth the tears. He's the stuck-up horse crap, and he's nothing compared to you. You deserve so much better than him, and I hate seeing you like this because of that guy. Please, don't cry Ev. You're an amazing, beautiful person." He said.

I couldn't help but smile at that.

I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him towards me.

"Ethan, thank you. You deserve much better, too."

And just like that, at 4:25 P.M, Ethan's lips were on mine for the very first time.