Merry Christmas, Darling | Peter Parker [TH]

October

"Oh my gosh, Pete, look!"

Peter's head whipped around from the display of earbuds. Panic filled him for a brief second as he looked around the store for you, his girlfriend.

Were you hurt? Did you need him? Where were you?

"Look!" you screamed.

He spotted you grinning at the CDs, an album in your hands. He walked over slowly and you held it up, pure giddiness in your eyes.

"It's Leslie Odom Jr.'s new Christmas album!" you said. He looked at the cover. Simply Christmas.

"Is that the guy from Hamilton?" he asked.

"Yes!" You clutched it against your chest. "Oh my gosh, I'm so excited-"

"Okay," he said, flashing a grin full of love and adoration. "Okay, I'll get it for you."

"You will? Peter, you don't have to-"

"I want to," he said. He peeled the album from your fingers.

You kissed him on the corner of the mouth. "I love you, babe!"

...

November

Peter internally groaned as he heard the same stupid album playing through your earbuds. Ever since he had bought it for you, you had been listening to only that with no songs in between.

He tapped on your shoulder and you looked at him, flashed a giant grin, and popped the earbuds out of your ears.

"Hi, Pete," you said, pausing your music. "Good morning."

"Morning, babe," he said, placing a chaste kiss on your cheek. "Are you really still listening to that music?"

"Uh-huh," you said. You handed him an earbud. "Listen with me?"

"Uh, no thanks," he said. "I'm not going to listen Christmas music in November."

You stuck your tongue out at him and placed an earbud back in, leaving the one closest to him out in case he changed his mind.

He didn't. In fact, he only got more annoyed at the sound of Merry Christmas, Darling playing from the tiny speaker.

...

December

On the twenty third of December, you and Peter sat next to one another on his couch. May was cooking a small Christmas dinner and you and Peter had just opened the presents from one another.

"May," you called, turning towards the kitchen, "can I turn on music?"

"Sure, sweetie," she said.

You smiled and stood up from the couch, walking over to the giant, chunky stereo and turned it on. You flipped through some CDs before popping one in. You turned up the volume.

At the beginning sounds of Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, Peter's head snapped up. He held a hand out towards the stereo. "What- how? H-How is that playing?"

"I got a copy for May for Christmas," you said.

"Isn't his voice beautiful, Peter?" she asked, hand on her chest. "Oh, I love it."

He rolled his eyes and leaned against the back of the couch.

"Dinner time, you two!" May called.

After dinner, you and Peter were back on the couch. Your hand was in his and his arm was around you. Everything would have been perfect if Merry Christmas, Darling wasn't playing.

"I love this song," you murmured, turning your head to him. "I think this is our song."

He huffed. "Ugh, I think this song is annoying," he muttered.

You stiffened and then pulled your hand back as if he burned you. He looked at you with confusion as you gave him a look of mixed anger and hurt.

"What is wrong with you?" you asked. "Why would you say that?"

"Oh come on, ___," he said. "The song is annoying! And you play the album all the time!" You scoffed and stood up, stooping down to gather your gifts from May and Peter and your coat. "___, babe, don't go-"

"Goodbye, Peter," you said. You went to the door and stepped into your shoes, not bothering to tie them. "Merry Christmas."

He got up as soon as you opened the door. "___! Wait-"

You stepped out and shut the door. He stopped, turned around, and let his back fall against the wood, hands going to his hair. He pulled at it, feeling regretful and a little sick, the music still playing.
...

January

He hadn't spoken to you since the twenty third. You'd pretty much ignored all of his texts. He knew he deserved it, really. He was a jerk.

As soon as he got to school on January first, he ran around to find you. After half an hour of searching, he spotted you at a cafeteria table, earbuds in, a muffin and cup of coffee in front of you.

He walked over to you and took the empty seat next to you. You glanced up at him, a flash of hurt going across your eyes.

"Hey, babe," he said. He smiled. "It's January 1st. Why are you still listening to Christmas music?"

"I'm not," you said. You showed him your screen, where your favorite Hamilton song was playing. "I haven't listened to it since-"

He frowned. "___, I'm so-"

"I listened to the album so much because you bought it for me, Pete," you said. "I thought it was romantic and sweet and reminded me of you. I didn't mean to annoy you with it."

His heart nearly broke. "Please don't apologize. I was a jerk for saying that. It's just... you listened to it so much-"

"Because you got it for me," you said sadly. You shook your head sadly and reached over to turn your music up.

He took your hand and brought it to his chest. "I am so sorry, ___," he whispered.

You frowned and paused. "It's okay," you said. You looked at him and nodded. "Really, it is. Maybe I overreacted."

"You didn't," he assured you. He kissed you on the head. "And maybe I can give the album a second chance."

You grinned. "It's a good album, Pete, but it might take a Christmas miracle to get you to like it."

He laughed and kissed you softly on the lips, happy to feel your smile.