The Night She Died | Peter Parker [TH]

It was a little while after school. You were sitting on the roof of your apartment building, legs swinging off the side of the ledge. Your boyfriend, Peter, was next to you, reading the book in his lap and holding your right hand in his left.

While you both studied silently, you fiddled with each other's fingers. You slowly slid yours up at down the lengths of the sides of his. He would trace patterns on your palm every now and again.

It was a peaceful way to spend the Monday evening. You leaned your head against his shoulder, making him smile. His cheek pressed against the top of your head.

"New shampoo?" he asked.

You smiled. "So you did notice. I traded coconut for strawberry. Do you like it?"

"I like it when your hair smells like coconut," he said, setting his book down and moving the now free hand to your hair, "but honestly, I just like your hair." He pulled his fingers through the soft locks, dipping his head down to kiss your soft cheek.

"Oh good," you replied. "Maybe I'll try ocean breeze next. Or green apple."

He couldn't reply when his phone buzzed in his pocket. He checked it quickly and, before you could even think to look at who it was, he was standing up, shutting books and stuffing papers in his backpack.

"Hey, I have to go," he said.

You furrowed your eyebrows. "Okay. Is everything alright?"

"Yeah, why?" he asked.

"You're obviously in a hurry," you commented. When he didn't say anything, you grew more curious. "Is it Aunt May? Does she need you or something?"

"Yeah, it's Aunt May or something," he said, throwing you off further. He put his bag on his back and left you without anything more than a nervous glance. "I'll see you later, babe."

He disappeared down the fire escape, leaving you to deal with your doubts. He seemed so happy just a few minutes ago, and then he left with a worried look on his face. It made you wonder if your relationship meant as much to him anymore.

You skipped dinner and walked around the neighborhood instead. It was cold for a late night in August. You shivered in Peter's hoodie.

For the twentieth time, you checked your phone. He hadn't sent you a text back since you asked how everything was just twenty minutes ago. The text was weird and unlike him. He had asked where you were.

I'm walking by my apartment

Peter, what's going on?

If you could just tell me why you've been acting weird

Peter please

You put your phone back up and stopped at a crosswalk to cross the street.

Looking both ways, you saw nothing coming, and then you heard the squeal of tires as a black vehicle came to a sudden stop just inches from your legs.

You yelped in surprise and stumbled backwards, falling on your back. The front door opened. You were ready to tell the guy off for speeding without headlights on.

"Dude, you could have killed me!" you exclaimed. "Don't you know that's dangerous-"

He stepped out of his car. At first, you saw his curly black hair hidden underneath a black hat, and then you saw the gun in his hands.

Cold fear coursed through your veins. You held up your arms, all color draining out of your face as the streetlights reflected off of the black weapon.