You And I Are Together Forever, Right? | Peter Parker [TH]

"I'm going to a new school next year. Midtown. It'll be good for me, you know. A lot of science opportunities."

"That's cool, Parker. As long as you can promise me that you won't pick science over me. I'm just as good for you."

"You're better for me than science, ___. You know that. You and I are together forever, right?"

...

Ever since you were little, you were friends with the boy that lived in the apartment next to you. He was a few months younger than you but more mature than anyone you had ever known. He was sweet and funny.

Peter Parker was your best friend and you were his. For years it was just the two of you. You both went to different schools and neither one of you had friends, but that was fine. You had each other after school and during the summers.

Your bedroom wall was connected to his bedroom wall. This was something you both discovered long ago. Since then, you and Peter would talk through the thin walls. You never felt lonely.

Your parents were close enough with Peter's aunt and uncle to allow you to visit them and Peter to visit you. Every week you would see each other at least four times and play video games, watch movies, or just sit together and talk.

And then, suddenly, it all stopped.

You understood why. Peter was a freshman in high school, you were a sophomore. He had to get used to high school quickly and you were already used to it. He was going to a science school and you were going to a normal one.

You weren't on the same level as Peter, intelligence wise, at least, and he clearly had new friends. You saw them come to his door off and on as you got mail from the lobby or stood outside of your own door. He had a group of three good friends and you had a group of no one.

Although you were older than him, you weren't exactly ahead in life. You had no friends, no job, no after school activity to dedicate your life to. You went to school, came home, sat in silence, and basked in the regret of all you did wrong to get where you were today.

You were afraid of moving forward. You couldn't face your future. It left you sick to even imagine trying anything new. If something changed, it all would change. Your entire life would be altered and you hardly had the strength to keep up with it the way it was.

It just made you tired.

On your way home from school today, you saw Ben Parker. He was walking towards the stairs, a stack of envelopes in his hands. When he saw you, he beamed.

"Hey there stranger," he said.

You smiled warmly. "Hi, Mr. Parker," you said.

"I've told you a million times to call me Uncle Ben," he said. "You're just as much family to me as Peter is."

At the mention of his name, your heart cracked. You nodded and kept your smile on. "Okay. Uncle Ben."

"I never see you over anymore," he said, his voice filled with wonder. "Are you busy now?"

"No," you said. "I'm... never really busy. Peter is, though, so I guess that's why he doesn't talk to me anymore." You felt like crying. "A-anyway, I'd better go. It was nice talking to you, Uncle Ben."

He nodded. His eyebrows has furrowed the moment you said that Peter didn't talk to you anymore.

You trudged up the steps and slid your backpack off your shoulder. You felt the fresh weight of longing on your back as you dug for your key. As if to add to the weight, you saw Peter's new best friend start down the hall, Peter behind him.