I Can Save Today | Peter Parker [TH]

Peter Parker was a worrier.

He worried about too many things for a sixteen year old boy. Most teenage boys worried about not having the courage to ask a girl out, failing a test at school, making a fool out of himself in front of everyone, or simply just getting his phone taken away.

But Peter worried about other things. He would lay awake at night obsessing over his fears. He would think about everyone discovering his secret identity, would fight nightmares of villains returning and hurting those he cared about. That last one always lead back to you.

You had Peter wrapped around your finger the moment he heard you laugh. You were a symbol of hope for him; a sign that even as Spider-Man, he could be a normal teenage boy.

You made sure he didn't miss out on anything. Everyone always said that school dances and graduations didn't matter in the end, but you believed wholeheartedly that they did, and Peter shouldn't miss them for the world.

You dragged him (sometimes unwillingly) to everything. You wanted him to have the "full teenage experience" which, in your eyes, meant all the dances, dates to the movie theater, group dates with friends, kissing in dark closets at school to avoid getting caught, and just being young.

Peter didn't mind. He had a girlfriend that adored him and showed it every day. He loved when you held his hand in the hall or lifted his hand to your lips and kissed his knuckles when you were sitting on the bus and he was standing.

He didn't deserve you and he knew that. Knowing that made him worry even more.

He feared that you would leave him one day. Not one day ended without him trying to be the best boyfriend he could be. He wanted to be normal for you and he tried so hard, but sometimes it just wasn't enough.

It was twenty minutes into your best friend's birthday party. It was a huge event taking place in a hotel party room. Your best friend lived for elegance, and while there wasn't much of it in Queens, she found it on her birthday - by hosting ballroom dances and fancy parties.

Peter threw open the doors, his hands going to his tie. He yanked it out of place and tossed it on the steps. The text Happy had sent him raced across his mind.

VULTURE IS BACK - STARK NEEDS YOU ASAP

He was about to make a beeline for the bushes when a small hand grabbed his wrist and brought his attention to them.

He looked up and saw you, eyes teary and mascara already running. Your hair was messy from running and he could tell your shoes were hurting your feet. Your other hand was holding your gold dress up off the ground.

His heart panged. You had spent so much time and money on this party. He knew it was for the sake of your best friend, but he also couldn't help but believe you did it for him.

You put makeup on and did your hair the way Peter liked best. You looked radiant in gold and Peter hadn't even had the chance to tell you.

"Peter, don't go," you pleaded, your voice weak.

He gulped. "I'm sorry."

"But our dance is soon, people will wonder why you're not there," you said.

He shook his head. "You... you don't deserve this."

There was a loud explosion somewhere in the city. He jumped, looking back in fear as he saw a flame sitting on top of the dark water over a hundred feet away. Tony would be needing him soon.

You seemed to realize it too. "Okay. Go."

Peter looked back at you, eyes wet. "I love you."

You nodded. "I love you, too, Peter - and I'm sorry."