I Shouldn't Have Gone To Germany | Peter Parker [TH]

When Happy dropped off Peter in front of his apartment, the first thing he wanted to do was get right back with the Avengers and save the world. He didn't want to go to school or help old women cross the street. He wanted to wear the suit all the time and use his powers to actually help the world.

Instead, he went to school.

He had a Spanish test today. Two days ago, his biggest worry was not getting enough punches in to take down the guy with the metal arm. Now his biggest worry was using the right form of usted.

Peter was grumpy from the minute he stepped on campus. He forcefully shoved his backpack into his locker and mumbled to himself as he yanked out his Spanish textbook. He'd have to cram a lot to make up for the days he missed.

"Hey, Peter," his friend Ned said. He turned his head and nodded in silent greeting. "How was the Stark internship thing? Aunt May told me you, like, went to Germany with him or something?"

"Yeah," he said, shutting his door. "Can I borrow your notes?"

"Whoa..." Ned pointed to Peter's swollen eye. "What happened?"

"Uh... a fight," he said, and that was it.

"Um... okay." Ned blinked. "Dude, are you not going to give me every detail or what? I'm talking the internship or the eye. Either would be cool."

He groaned. "I don't know, man, I mean I have the worst jet lag and-" Peter stopped midsentence as he saw, out of the corner of his eye, you limp out of a classroom.

One of your legs sported a white cast. A pair of crutches were under your arms, keeping your leg from touching the ground. A teacher hugged you and he heard her wish you a speedy recovery.

"What happened to ___?" he asked.

"Didn't you hear? There was this crazy robbery down the street and the car was leaving this apartment with, like, a million dollars worth of computers - who has a million dollars worth of computers, right? Maybe we should raid their dumpster for parts. Anyway, the thugs were leaving the neighborhood and going, like, eighty miles per hour. They hit her taxi."

Peter's heart sank somewhere to the floor. He looked at Ned and swallowed. It was difficult to keep his cool when he pictured it happening to you.

"Is she okay?"

"Yeah, I mean... she's here. A broken leg and a mild concussion I guess. It happened the night you left. She was in the hospital for a couple of days." Ned's voice lowered to a whisper. "And I'm not for sure, but I think her taxi driver died on impact. Sucks, right? I didn't want to ask her just in case."

"Oh my God," Peter breathed.

"Yeah."

Peter watched, feeling guilty, as you limped your way forward. He didn't look away from you even when your eyes caught his. Surprisingly, you grinned. It was a real smile that typically made his heart skip several beats.

Now, his heart was threatening to break.

"Peter," you said, half surprised. You threw your crutches forward and lifted yourself a full three steps to get in front of him. "You're back! How was the Stark internship? Ned told me all about it."

"I-It was fine," he said quietly. "H-How are you? How are you feeling?"

You furrowed your eyebrows. "It was just fine? You spent several days God knows where with Tony Stark, probably geeking it up in a lab somewhere, and it was just fine? And don't think I haven't noticed that black eye."

Peter opened his lips and closed them. He looked away.

"Oh. You heard, duh." You smiled a little and shrugged. "I'm okay, Peter. Just glad to be out of the hospital."