Not That Girl (Part Four) | Peter Parker [TH]

Your mom drove you to school after a stop for donuts. You chewed on yours quietly, a cup of vanilla coffee in your other hand. She kept taking glances at you as she drove. You knew it was just because she was worried about you.

"So what's the theme for the dance?" she asked.

"Eighties," you said, wiping glaze off of your fingers. Your heart was aching again, thinking of Peter and Ned. "But I'm not going, Mom."

"Aw, baby, why?" she asked. "You had a fight with Ned and Peter, didn't you? Oh, what did those boys do? Boys are mean, sometimes, I'm telling you-"

"It was me, Mom. I screwed up. I decided to have a crush on Peter and now he hates me. I made things so weird and there's no fixing them." You sighed. "Honestly, I need to find new friends."

"No friends can replace them," she said matter-of-factly. She shrugged. "And I'm sorry, baby, if that's not what you want to hear, but those boys are rare."

"Mom," you whined.

"They are," she insisted, "and that's why you like Peter so much. I wasn't exaggerating when I talked about how kind he was. In fact, I wholeheartedly believe he'll be running right back to you today. Don't give up on him, sweetheart, and don't give up on yourself, either."

"He doesn't like me back, Mom," you said. You couldn't look at her anymore.

"You know, time has a way of changing things," she said, "and so does circumstance. Don't give up just yet. If you like that boy, you show him."

"I do like him," you said. You smiled for a split second, before dropping it and looking at her. "But-"

"I know," she said. "He let you down. It hurts. I get it, but he'll apologize, I'm telling you."

She pulled up to the school. You unbuckled your seatbelt and grabbed your coffee and backpack. "Thanks, Mom. Love you," you said, opening the door.

"I love you, sweetheart," she said back. "Have a great day!"

You waved and hopped onto the curb. Taking a sip of your coffee, you started towards the entrance, nervousness slowly creeping its way into your gut.

Your first day of school with no friends. Your first day of school with nowhere to sit at lunch and no one to partner up with during lab. It was like your first day of high school all over again, and you hated it.

Ned was at Peter's locker when you walked by. Both boys stopped talking and let their eyes follow you. You kept your eyes down and walked as if nothing could bother you.

But everything was bothering you. So badly. Peter's gaze felt like knives in your back and Ned's silence felt like a punch to the gut.

But you carried on, holding yourself together, refusing to let yourself seem as weak as you felt.

...

Lunch was difficult.

You managed to snag a seat that was a reasonable distance from Ned and Peter. They kept looking at you, but you solely focused on the turkey sandwich in front of you.

The day went on slowly, each class a little more difficult to get through. It hurt especially bad when Peter chose to partner with Flash Thompson instead of you. When he asked Flash if he would work with him, your eyes burned. It was difficult to swallow, especially when Flash replied with-

"What's the matter with your girlfriend, Parker? Did she dump you?"

"She's not my girlfriend," he said, "and I would just rather work with you, so-"