There's Just One Thing I Need (Part Six) | Peter Parker [TH]

You scanned the hallway joyously, looking at every passing face for one particular person. You were hopping up and down with excitement, the slips of papers in your hands feeling like two freshly printed one hundred dollar bills.

You finally found Peter, one hand on the strap of his backpack, the other stuffed in his front pocket. He walked over to his locker, looking bored and sleepy.

You ran forward, his name falling out of your lips in a spew of pure happiness.

His head perked up and he turned towards you, a smile touching his closed mouth. He turned towards you. You stopped in front of him, papers pressed against your chest, grin wide enough to hurt.

"Peter, Peter, Peter-"

"Yes, ___, what?" he laughed, "I know my name!"

"Okay!" you said. "Sorry! Just-" You held the papers out. "Look!"

He took them from you. "Whoa, you got tickets to The Last Jedi? No way!"

"Yes!" you exclaimed. "You, me, in the fancy theater with reclining seats, seated right smack in the center! The perfect spot!"

"Dude," he said. "This is amazing!" His smile faltered after a moment, his eyebrows furrowed, and his cheeks tinged pink. "Wait. Just me and you?"

In the two weeks since you'd first went to hang out with Peter, you had gotten close to both him and his best friend, Ned. You were pretty much part of a trio now, and of course, through countless hang outs and videochats and time spent with Peter Parker, you managed to have a crush on him.

A big crush.

And it totally wasn't wrong to! You'd been single for only two weeks, sure, but your previous boyfriend, for one, didn't tell you his name, and two, wasn't that serious.

That's what you told yourself anyway, even though you often missed your Spidey. It hurt to remember how easily he let you go, and thinking about Peter, about how kind and funny and selfless he was, made it all better.

"Y-Yeah, just us," you said, pausing to lick your dry lips, the taste of peppermint lip gloss coating your tongue, "uh, I, uh, was gonna ask... if you wanted to go on a date with me. To see the movie. Together." You cringed.

"You're asking me out?" he asked faintly.

"Yes," you said, "but I get it if it's a no!"

The look on his face was difficult to read. Mostly because it was a quick flash of at least nine different ones, and you didn't even have time to process the wrinkle between his eyebrows before he was grinning, skin of his forehead smoothed.

"Yes," he said, teeth showing. "I'd love to go out with you! And to see The Last Jedi? Ugh! It'll be awesome!" He held out his hand, and invitation to do your secret handshake. You did.

"That's great," you said, relief in your voice. "I'm warning you though, Peter. I'm a crier." You pointed at him.

He laughed, opening his locker. "Um, me too. Especially if there's a Luke and Leia reunion, or if Luke brings up feeling the death of Han. Or if Kylo Ren manages to kill his own mother- which, full disclosure, I don't think he will be able to because he loved her more than he ever loved Han and - yeah okay, I'm rambling."

You laughed at him. "I totally want to hear all of your thoughts and theories, Peter, but I've got a test to cram for. I'll see ya."

"See ya," he said, grinning. "Oh, and thanks for asking me. And for the ticket."

"No problem," you said, grinning. You turned away, gaining a skip in your step as you hurried off, thinking of that cute grin he gave when he accepted your offer.

...

Two days before the movie, you and Peter were in the library, books in laps and pencils in hands. He had been increasingly stressed lately - and you were guessing it had to do with upcoming finals.

"Peter," you said, teaching across the table and tapping his arm with your eraser. He looked up from his textbook and blinked to focus on you. You grinned at his sleepy look. "Hey. Um, this final is gonna be a piece of cake, okay? Don't worry about it."

His eyebrows furrowed briefly. Then, as if remembering something, he nodded. "Oh, yeah. I-I'm sure you're right, ___," he said, and you tilted your head. It sounded like finals were the last things on his mind to you. "I'm just, uh, really stressed. Finals and the Stark internship, you know."

"Yeah, I know," you said slowly, suspiciously. "That internship has seriously been keeping you busy lately. Is that... all that's going on?"

"Yes," he said quickly. "Yes. Um - uh, of course, yeah. I mean, Mr. Stark has me doing so much, I'm, like, stretched thin. Why do you ask?"

"Because you're acting like finals aren't what you're stressed about," you said. "And I don't know, like the Stark internship isn't, either." You sighed. "Peter, we're friends now. You can tell me things, you know." You moved the eraser off the top of his hand and placed your palm there.

His skin was soft and warm. He stiffened at your touch, his shoulders jerking into a straight line. A breath slipped out of him.

He stared at you, tongue poking out of his mouth to sweep across his bottom lip. His jaw set hard and he tore his eyes from you, pulling his hand back and staring at the floor. He almost looked guilty.

"I'm gonna head home, I think," he said finally.

"Oh... 'kay," you replied. He was gathering his stuff and shoving it messily in his backpack. "Did I do something?"

"No," he said. He looked at you sympathetically now. "No, you didn't do anything. I'm not mad at you or anything - I just need to get home. I have to do something." He stood up, having to catch the chair as the backs of his knees bumped into it. "You're actually really great, okay? You're so awesome and sweet and cute and okay, you mean a lot to me. Okay? Okay, great. Oh - and please make sure you have a ride home or someone walks you. And text me when you're home. Thanks. Bye." He grabbed his coat and ran away, face red and eyes cast on the floor.

You turned in your seat, mouth dropped. "What the heck was all that, Peter?" you called out.

The librarian hushed you. You blinked and turned back in your seat, laughing softly. Admittedly, you were flattered at Peter's spew of random nonsense.

And Spider-Man was far from your mind.