Payback?

Dinner with her father was mentally exhausting, and she was lucky to have Christian by her side

Dinner with her father was mentally exhausting, and she was lucky to have Christian by her side. He did all the talking and seemed not to mind her father's blabbering at all.

It was no secret that her father liked Christian. He loved the young man like he was his own son, despite the fact that he was his bestfriends' fruit. Sometimes, Emily believed that one of the reasons why he treated Christian with so much love was because he had no son of his, and his only daughter was at times, a proud introverted person. Not that he could blame her though, the fault was all his.

He would take Christian with him most times to play golf, or go on business trips, and never for once did Christian reject his call.

"Christian would make a perfect husband for you,"

He had once said. That was six months ago when he decided to let Emily know that he wanted a union between the two youths. It was one of those father-daughter moments they rarely had over the phone.

"He is kind, caring, handsome, and not to mention, an excellent business man. Look how he runs his father's business? He is everything I'm looking for in a son in law. When Grant and I finally leave our companies in both your hands, we'd want the two of you to merge and run the companies together, while we go for the vacation we so badly need."

"Wow. You've planned everything out already." she mumbled with the tiniest hint of interest audible in her voice.

"Do you have a boyfriend?" came her father's gruff reply. She scoffed and mumbled a dry, "No."

"Do you plan on getting married any time soon?"

"No."

"How about kids, you want them yet?"

Her father was finally going crazy. Since when did he start growing interest in her personal or love life?

"What are you trying to say dad?"

"My lovely daughter, you're intelligent when it comes to business and all, but I think you're a complete zero when it comes to love." she wasn't there, but she could picture the smile on her father's face as he said those words.

"Your mother - ahh! I loved her. I loved her more than I loved my growing business at that time. We were teenagers when we first met. It was true love."

Emily's interest sparked at this. She knew her father loved her mother, but he rarely spoke about her. The memories - he would say, were too painful to talk about. So the fact that he had brought her mother up, lit something in her.

"We dated for a few years and got married the moment we clocked our twenties. And when she was conceived with you, oh the joy I felt in my heart. Emily, you were my priceless jewel. You still are." his voice was soft and sad, Emily swallowed the lump forming in her throat.