What Happened?

Connor's P.O.V

I knocked on Delilah's door but it's not De I see; it's her dad.

"Hey Connor. How are ya'?" I can tell that it kills him to see his daughter the way she is even though he smiles at me.

"Hey Mr May, I'm okay thanks, I mean I've been better. You?" I reply trying to show him that it's affecting a lot of us.

"Same here son." There's a pause as he gathers himself. "Are you here to stand and talk to me or were you hoping to see my daughter?"

I smile, he's a brave man seeing your 'precious little girl' in this state must be awful. "Don't get me wrong Chris your great to talk to but I would like to see De if she's willing to see me?"

"Of course Connor, just let me go and get her."

He walks towards her room and I follow him down the corridor even though I felt like I should've stayed back a bit.

"Just wait here."

I stand just outside her door as he goes in and shuts the door behind him. I can hear Chris talking but Delilah isn't replying until suddenly the crying starts and then she screams. The sound is piercing and makes me feel like I've just been stabbed.

Why is she screaming? Is she really that bad? Wow what a mess they've got themselves into.

I then hear Delilah shout at her dad. "I DON'T WANT HIM, I WANT TO BE ON MY OWN!" she shouts so loud her voice wobbles and cracks.

"No Delilah I'm not having you sit in here on your own for the next three weeks! I'm not letting you isolate yourself anymore than you already have!" Chris replies not shouting but firmly telling her what for and I feel like I should turn back and walk away. "Now you will speak to Connor whether you want to or not!"

"NOOOO! DAD, PLEASE!" Delilah starts sobbing and it kills me so much that she's so hurt she can't even speak to me.

Without even thinking I burst the door open and stare at Delilah.

"Now you may not want to speak to me, Delilah, but I'm telling you now, I'm not leaving you in this state no matter how much you shout!" I say to her as firmly as I can.

She doesn't reply but I take in her appearance...what happened? The once beautiful Delilah May was barely herself. Her cheeks were beginning to hollow out, her hair dry, brittle and lost it's shine, her eyes were absent and lifeless, her lips and skin dry cracked, and colourless. How did De become like this, when she sent me such a cheerful text just this morning? I searched for her phone but it wasn't anywhere.

"Connor." Delilah finally said quietly with her hoarse voice. She looked at me with her dull, dry eyes as they glazed over.

Her dad made a swift exit mouthing what I think was a thank you on the way out.

"De." I said to her as my eyes filled with tears.

"Connor..." she began to cry but I ran over to her and caught her collapsing body in my arms. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay, it's okay. Honestly, what're you like, shouting at your poor father like that?" I asked as I began to cry with her.

"I'm not thinking straight."

"Or eating right! De you're like a twig already, you need to feed yourself." I let go off her and sat up on the edge of the bed.

"I know, I've been in my room since..." she was going to carry on but didn't for a simple fear of saying it. "I've not been in the kitchen at all."