It's the Little Things that Count

The next morning I woke up on the sofa with a blanket over me. I heard quiet clattering coming from the kitchen and peered over the back of the sofa to see who it was. Bless him he stayed the night. James was making me waffles because he knows just how much I love them. I wrapped the blanket around my shoulders and shuffled off the sofa before heading to the kitchen. The waffles had just popped up and I stopped James from getting them by hugging him from behind.

"Morning beautiful." He said to me as he turned around and kissed my forehead.

"Who are you talking to?" I asked him knowing full well he was talking to me.

"Don't play that game with me, you're beautiful and you need to accept that!" James lifted me up onto the countertop before turning back to the waffles and drizzling syrup on them.

"I'm not beautiful in a morning or ever for that fact!"

"Yes you are and the fact that I'm madly in love with you only makes you more beautiful than you already are!" He kissed me gently on the lips wrapping one arm around my waist and sliding me off of the counter. I wrapped my legs around his skinny waist and he carried me back to the sofa where he handed me a waffle and took one for himself before perching on the edge of the sofa near my feet.

"Thanks for the waffle James." I said to him with my mouth full and he just laughed.

"Anytime." That cheeky smile of his surfaced his lips and I smiled back at him.

I turned the tele on and put 'At Worlds End' on. The two of us couldn't help but laugh the whole way through because Nick Frost and Simon Pegg are hilarious. Then I decided to go check on my dad who I was hoping was in his room. He was. My dad was lay on his front fully clothed and had a picture of himself, me and my mum all together, the three of us smiling. I remembered that day. We had gone to the park and my dad bought us all a nice cream and I got a bit on the tip of my nose. My mum copied, closely followed by my dad. We then walked along the edge of the forest and I pretended there were fairies speaking to me. I pulled the picture from my dad's hand and placed it on the side table before pulling the duvet over my dad. He had been crying last night, I know because I heard him and there were stains on the sheets.

I returned to James after reliving the day in the park with my mum and dad. He smiled that sympathetic smile as he held his arms out to me, I ran into his arms and he hugged me tightly. A sense of security shook through my body and I pulled him closer.

"Is your dad okay?" He asked his tine slightly worried.

"Yeah he's fine and he told me to tell you not to worry about him working too hard..." I said to him remembering his exact words 'Tell him not to worry and that I've got you helping me out.' It made me smile but also frown, he has me and only me...I'm all he has.

"Delilah?" It was only after James said my name that I realised I had zoned out. "Are you okay, you zoned out for a while there?"

"Yeah, I was just thinking about yesterday."

"Don't dwell on it too much. I hate seeing you upset!" James pulled me in closer and I returned the hug whilst he kissed the top of my head.

"No, I was just thinking that my dad said he's got me...James I'm all he's got. My dad has lost everything, my mum, his mum and dad, he even lost his brother."

"Delilah, he's got me and the others as well. I bet he's got friends from work to. You don't need to worry he's got people who will stick up for him no matter what." I know I say this a lot but James always knows what to say!

"Thank you, James, for everything!" At this point the film had finished and James flipped to the music channel. 'A Thousand Years' by Christina Perri came on and I smiled before being dragged off of the sofa by James.