Chapter 10

A/N- I'm sorry for not updating! School is a pain. I'm also sorry this is so short. My brain does not like to cooperate all the time. Enjoy!

Word count: 430

Y/n's POV:
I practically sprint into the library on Sunday morning, searching for my brown-haired best friend before I finally spot her, reading silently in a corner behind a few bookshelves. She just barely glances up when I approach, eyes rimmed with red.

"Hello," she says, dully. I do my best not to frown for for her sake, but her disheveled appearance wasn't helping.

"Hey, 'Mione. How're you doing?"

"Fine, I suppose," she answers, still in a completely uninterested voice. She continues to stare at the book in her lap, but her eyes are no longer moving across the page.

"I have some important news for you if you want to hear it," I say timidly. She quirks an eyebrow, finally looking up at me.

"Okay. Tell me." Quickly, I cast Muffliato, then I take a deep breath, to prepare for how she might respond.

"IaskedDracotoSlughorn'sparty," I blurt out. She furrows her brow in confusion, tilting her head slightly.

"Pardon me? I'm not sure if that was even English, Y/n."

"I asked Draco to Slughorn's party," I repeat slower, and quieter. Her eyes grow to the size of saucers, but knowing what she's likely to do, I cut off her response with a last bit of information. "Before you scream, you should know, we, er- kind of, kissed. Again." If possible, her eyes widened even more. She opens her mouth and squeals, jumping up to hug me.

"That's amazing, Y/n!" she yells. I can't help but smile and hug her back. I was grinning brightly, mostly because things were back to normal for a moment. Excluding the dark bags under her eyes.

"Yeah, I guess it is pretty great," I say dreamily. She holds my shoulders at arm's length and looks at me, a smile still gracing her dainty features.

"We have to find a dress for you! It's barely a week away!" she exclaims. I repress the urge to roll my eyes, not looking forward to her nagging me about dressing properly.
"Well, we can look through my clothes later. Maybe fix up something I already have." I muse, fidgeting with the hem of my sweater. She nods her head furiously.

"Possibly. Or you can wear something of mine!" she answers cheerfully. Despite dreading what she'll make me look like, we talk for a bit about random things when the topic comes to Harry. The first time she says his name, she must have noticed my eye roll.
"Did something happen? I thought you to made up?" she questions. I sigh.

"We did, but then he saw me sitting with Draco at lunch. He said some things, and I said some things. I'm not speaking to him," I explain. She purses her lips.

"I'm sorry," is all she says. I shrug, regretting allowing the topic to resurface. All I wanted was for her to be back to her cheerful self as she had been a few minutes prior.

"It's fine, Hermione. It'll get better. He is my brother after all." I say dismissively.

"That doesn't mean he has the right to say rude things to you," she. I shrug again. "I hear he's going to the party with Luna," she states. It was a rather random bit of information, but it made me laugh, thinking of the pretty blonde girl I'd met in my fifth year.

"She's a very nice girl. Interesting, but nice," I say.  Hermione giggled a little. For a while, we just sit there in comfortable silence; reading all the books we can get our hands on without having to stand up.