Mario

Requested by BondiGirlInBlue

Y/N

"I'm jealous that you have the day off y/n," Mario, your boyfriend whines, as he gets ready for his shift on Bondi Beach.

You peek up from beneath the duvet and grin, "now you know how I felt last week when Hoppo gave you that day off and I had to work."

Mario walks over to the bed and kisses your forehead, "see you later loser."

"Remember to pick up milk on your way home because I'm too lazy to go to the shops."

Mario rolls his eyes and leaves the bedroom so that he wasn't late for work.

After another hour in bed scrolling through social media and replying to fans, you get out of bed and walk downstairs into the kitchen to make your usual morning coffee.

Sitting down at the counter you take out your laptop and begin replying to emails, and making travel arrangements to go visit Mario's family in Italy for his birthday as a surprise.

~Time Skip~

You start to feel a little lightheaded after making a sandwich for lunch, which was odd because you were feeling fine this morning. Getting up from the sofa feeling sluggish and like the energy had been drained from you, you head into the kitchen to take some pills hoping it will make you feel better before Mario got home.

However, you don't make it far before your knees give out and you fall on the floor coughing. Something wasn't right, you needed to call an ambulance. Luckily your phone was in your pocket so you're able to dial the emergency services, but before you can ask for an ambulance you drop the phone and have another coughing fit.

Scrambling for the phone you're thankful the lady on the other end hadn't hung up, "I need an ambulance please, I just collapsed on the floor..."

"Can you tell me your address?"

You rattle off the address and have another coughing fit.

"There has been a reported gas leak in your area if you can get out of your house the fire service is on the way."

You hadn't even felt that something was off, then again gas leaks were notorious for being silent killers. You hang up and take the woman's advice and try to get out of the house. But when you get to the hallway, you collapse to the floor again and feel yourself pass out.

MAXI

We got the call of a suspected gas leak on a street I was very familiar with because y/n and Mario had recently moved into a new build and I'd been over to their house along with the other lifeguards. I knew it was serious when they said the whole street was affected.

As I get my gear on I try and dial y/n's phone but get no response which was unnerving because y/n was glued to her phone.

We hit the streets all guns blazing and lights flashing. I wanted to get there and help people.

Ten minutes later we pull up onto the street and I see other fire engines and ambulances scattered, helping people out of their houses. I jump out and am thankful my boss directs me towards y/n's end of the street. There I see Yak of all people rushing up to y/n's door.

"Yak, what are you doing?"

He looks up at me concerned, "y/n rang for an ambulance but I haven't seen her leave the house."

Worry creeps in as we rush towards the front door which was locked. I put my face up against the glass window and gasp loudly seeing y/n unmoving on the hallway floor.

"It looks like she's succumbing to the gas Yak, we need to get inside."

Yak nods in understanding and takes a step back while I use my equipment to smash the window in, allowing me to reach in and unlock the front door. I run inside and drag her outside.

Yak starts working on her, checking her vitals, and it soon becomes clear that she'd inhaled the gas over a period of time and all she needed was a round on the oxygen to bring her back around.

"Hi guys," she mumbles behind the oxygen mask.

"How are you feeling y/n?" I ask, and in response, she gives me a thumbs up.

"We're going to get you to hospital y/n," Yak reassures her.

I leave y/n in Yak's capable hands and set about helping out other residents.

MARIO

I was finishing up my shift with Jesse up North, where nothing dramatic had happened which was strange. The overall feeling on the beach was calm, with hardly any rescues for any lifeguard.

After changing back into my normal clothes I head out of the changing rooms and try to ring y/n but get no response. She was probably just in another room doing other things so I wasn't that concerned.

I remember y/n asked me to pick up milk after my shift ended, so I jog to the shops near our house and buy some milk so that I can stay in her good books because she liked to joke I didn't pull my weight around the house.

However, when I approach the street before ours I'm shocked to see a Police barrier up keeping people away from our street. I manage to elbow my way through the crowd until a Police officer stops me.

"You can't go any further sir, there's been a gas leak and residents have been evacuated."

I shake my head, "my girlfriend was home, I need to know if she's okay."

The officer's tough facade slips for a second, "what's her name and I'll check for you."

I give him her name. I wait for what feels like forever when in reality only a couple of minutes pass before the officer returns, "she has been transported to the local hospital."

I don't let him finish before I'm pushing back through the crowd wanting to get to my girlfriend and see if she was okay.

~Hospital~

I give the guy at the front desk y/n's name and he directs me to a ward stating y/n wasn't seriously hurt, and had just inhaled the gas and collapsed.

As I near the ward I see ex-lifeguard Yak and I feel better about the whole situation, "Yak how is she?"

Yak smiles at me, "she's going to be okay Mario. Maxi was able to smash the front door window and get inside, and I got her on the oxygen as quickly as I could and she came around quickly."

I pat him on the shoulder and enter the ward. I see y/n lying in the final bed, staring out of the window.

"Oh my god, I nearly had a heart attack when I got back to the street y/n. How are you?"

y/n looks over at me and chuckles, "I'm happy Yak and Maxi got me out in time. I didn't feel off until after lunch. I'm happy you're here now."

She scoots over on the bed and I lie down next to her and hold her in my arms, "I love you so much y/n."

"I love you more Mario, do you think Hoppo will give both of us a couple of days off since we don't have a home until the source of the gas leak is discovered and fixed."

I run my fingers through her hair, "I don't care about work or the house, I'm just happy to have you safe in my arms."

y/n cuddles against me, and we stay like this for the rest of the afternoon until I'm kicked out due to visitor hours being over. I kiss y/n goodnight and tell her I'd be back in the morning when she was discharged. You know the saying, the calm before the storm, that pretty much summed up the whole day.