Bacon

BACON

Today y/n and I were stationed up north, where the rips were picking up and more and more people were getting in trouble in the usually calm water.

"I have one hand up near the rocks, they are on their own and not making it back to the beach on their own," Hoppo comes on over the radio.

y/n picks it up, "I'll head in."

y/n gets out of the rhino and takes off their shirt, picks up the board and heads into the water. I stand up on the back of the rhino and watch her paddle out amongst harsh waves to where the person was in need of rescue.

However when y/n gets to the person and gets them on her board, out of the waves pop two more people. y/n raises her hand to call for assistance, but one of the new people shove her off the board and into the waves crashing into the rocks.

I curse and pick up the radio, "Bacon to the tower, two more heads popped up and pushed y/n off her board and into the rocks. I'm going in but will need assistance."

Before anyone can respond, I grab the second board and run into the water knowing I needed to get to y/n before something bad happened. she was an excellent swimmer, but the way the rip was acting up and the height of the waves even someone experienced could find themselves hurt.

The three young guys were holding onto y/n's board, "aren't you going to help us mate?" one of them calls out.

I shake my head, "why would you endanger a lifeguard? They were out here to save you," I shout back, getting more worked up with each passing second.

"Go find y/n and we'll deal with these three," Whippet pulls up beside me, along with Harries and Jesse in tow.

I head towards the rocks and don't see y/n lying on them, so she still had to be in the water. I frantically scan the area around the rocks, running my arms through the water to see if I could make contact with anything, but I couldn't find her anywhere.

Kerrbox pulls up on the jet ski, "go back to the beach Bacon, we'll continue looking for her."

Knowing he was right, I head back to the beach feeling tears run down my cheeks. This was our first day back after our honeymoon, I couldn't lose y/n.

I throw my board down on the sand and sink to my knees on the sand watching the raging water and the jet ski bouncing on top of waves.

"y/n's a fighter mate, Kerrbox will find her and bring her back safely," Harries speaks in a reassuring tone, patting my shoulder.

~Five Minutes Later~

It was the longest five minutes of my life fearing y/n was dead and her body lost. Then the jet ski comes speeding towards the beach and Whippet, Jesse and Harries go to assist Kerrbox. I stand up and with shaking legs make my way over slowly, but Hoppo who had come running down with the defib stops me in my tracks.

"Let us work on her Bacon."

I nod in defeat and take a step back, watching the guys carry an unconscious and pale y/n off the back of the jet ski and place her down on the beach and start CPR. I mess with the wedding band on my finger, remembering y/n saying I do and how beautiful she looked on our wedding day.

~Ten Minutes Later~

"I've got a pulse," Hoppo yells.

Hearing those four words I get my hopes up that everything was going to be okay. So I run over and see y/n trying to fully open her eyes, and every few seconds coughing up water.

Paramedics arrive and y/n is loaded onto a stretcher. I turn to face all of the guys, "thank you."

"Go be with your wife mate," Whippet replies.

I don't need to be told twice before I follow paramedics back up the beach. y/n pulls down her oxygen mask, "you can't get rid of me that easily, death do us part and all that shit."

I can't keep the smile off my face, even after a near-death experience y/n was back to being her sarcastic self, "I think you've gone past the nine lives stage y/n. What am I going to do with you?" I joke, holding her hand.

She coughs, "put a sign around my neck that says 'fragile'."

I roll my eyes at her humour as the paramedics put her into the back of the ambulance. She had a pretty big wound on the side of her head from where she'd hit the rocks head on, and various cuts on her arms and legs. I'd definitely be keeping an eye on her in the future when she went into the water for rescues.

"I'll be wrapping you in cotton wool y/n."

She sticks out her tongue, "there's not enough cotton wool in the world to contain me Bacon."

I climb into the back of the ambulance with her. Oh, I'd find a way to keep her safe, no more near-death experiences on my watch.