Jesse

JESSE

Today was valentine's day, a day of romance across the whole world, where couples or two people who were in love showed their affections for one another. y/n and I had been together for three years, but we weren't your typical couple because we didn't care for all that romantic crap and cheese. We preferred spending the day in each other's company, just relaxing or even surfing because it was our shared passion.

I was scheduled to work today, and y/n said she'd swing by later so we could grab lunch together. Little did y/n know I had something special planned, which was romantic and full-on cheese.

"I don't understand yours and y/n's relationship," Deano states, sitting next to me in the tower.

I turn to face him, "what do you mean?"

"You don't do romantic gestures or gifts, yet y/n loves romantic comedies and we all know you're a softie at heart," he replies, keeping his eyes on the water.

I snort and pull the ring box out of my shorts and slide it across the desk, "how's this?"

Deano glances down at the small box and gasps, "Is that what I think it is? Are you going to propose to y/n?"

I nod and take the ring box back, keeping it safe until y/n gets here, "sure am. I love her and want to spend the rest of my life with her."

Deano picks up the radio, "tower to all lifeguards, looks like Jesse is finally going to pop the big question to y/n."

I shake my head, feeling embarrassed that everyone knew my business.

"How are you going to do it?" Reidy radios back, being y/n's older brother and all meant I had to do something that would also impress him.

I chew the inside of my mouth and Deano hands me the radio, "I guess I'm just going to ask her, no fuss, since she doesn't like fuss," I reply.

"Real romantic," Reidy jokes back.

Deano takes the radio off me and puts it aside, "you have to have something prepared Jesse, you can't just pop the question like it means nothing."

I shrug my shoulders, "I don't know what to tell you Deano, sometimes the simple things are the best."

~Time Skip~

"y/n's here Jesse," Reidy declares, walking his sister into the lifeguard tower followed by Maxi and Hoppo. Of course, he'd bring an audience for this, with Deano and Yatesy already in the tower with me.

"Do you know why they are acting like complete idiots?" y/n questions, shuffling away from her brother.

I laugh, "that's how they always are y/n. Now I have something for you."

y/n tilts her head to the side, "I told you not to get me anything, Jesse."

I walk towards her, "and I'm smart enough to know that meant to get you something."

y/n chuckles, "you know me too well Jesse."

I reach back and pull out the small black box and get down on one knee, "I love you y/n, will you marry me?"

y/n gasps, "of course I will."

I slide the ring on her finger and kiss my new fiancée, while the lifeguards whoop and cheer around us. y/n admires the ring and I knew this was the perfect way to propose, surrounded by our family.

"Someone get Deano a tissue he's going to cry," y/n giggles, and Deano brushes her comment off.

"Congratulations guys, Jesse you better treat my sister well," Reidy slaps me on the back, and I gulp knowing he was serious. But I had no intention of ever treating y/n bad again, I'd learnt my lesson the hard way.

y/n links her fingers through mine and squeezes my hand, "I love you, Jesse."

I smile back, "this is way better than those romantic comedies y/n."

"One hundred times better, "she replies.