Glick

GLICK

Today was Valentine's Day, a happy day for couples, but for the single ones it was just another day except it was filled with clichés and over the top gestures of love. I'd been single for the past month and it sucked, but luckily I wasn't alone because my flatmate and best friend y/n was also single and had come up with an interesting way to spend the day.

y/n suggested that we do all the clichés as friends and have a laugh and a good time. I agreed not thinking much of it until I woke up to start my early shift and found a giant stuffed shark plushie sitting on my bed with a card propped up against it. The card asked if I'd be y/n's Valentine, so I headed into their room with my own gift and card. y/n loved flowers so I'd gone out and ordered a bouquet of her favourites which they adored and hugged me, before telling me to get to work.

~Time Skip~

All day y/n and I had been sending each other cheesy pickup lines and quotes about love. I even told her to be ready because I'd booked us a meal at a fancy restaurant for 8, which earnt me a tonne of heart emojis.

"When are you two going to realise that you have feelings for one another Glick?" Harries asks, sitting next to me in the tower overlooking my shoulder to read my conversation between y/n.

I scoff, "I like y/n as a friend and vice versa."

Harries shakes his head and picks up the radio, "tower to all lifeguards, who thinks Glick and y/n secretly like each other but are too scared to tell the other?"

I was shocked Harries would broadcast that to everyone working today.

"They love each other," Maxi replies, making kissing noises into his radio.

"Man up Glick, we all like y/n so lock her down before you lose her to some douchebag," Jesse responds quite bluntly.

"Tell her tonight, I mean nothing is more cliché on Valentine's Day then telling someone you love them," Deano chimes in.

I shake my head and snatch the radio from Harries, "guys I don't like y/n that way I swear. Besides she could do so much better than me."

I get no response from the other lifeguards. I wasn't in denial, y/n and I had been best friends since high school and did everything together, and even if there was a slither of feelings for her then I bet she wouldn't feel the same because we'd been in the friend zone for too long now.

~Time Skip~

y/n was in the bathroom getting ready when I returned to the apartment after work. I head into my room and get dressed in a nice suit because I wanted to look good.

"Glick, are you decent?" y/n says, knocking on my closed bedroom door.

I straighten my shirt and walk over to the door opening it, "I'm nearly ready to go...wow you look stunning y/n..."

y/n wore a red halter neck dress which had a diamond cut out showing off her cleavage in a tasteful way, of course, the dress came just shy of her knees, and this was the second time in my life I'd seen her in heels because she hated the things. Her long hair had been curled, and her makeup complimented the sultry look she was going for.

"You don't look too bad yourself Glick, I love it when you wear suits," she replies, taking a step forwards to straighten my jacket.

I offer her my arm which she accepts, and I swear I see her cheeks blush. Were the lifeguards right, did y/n have feelings for me?

~Time Skip~

I hold y/n's chair like a gentleman which makes her giggle, "and they say chivalry is dead."

A waiter comes over to the table with a complimentary glass of champagne each and we toast to a successful Valentine's Day. However, when I lower my glass over y/n's shoulder I see my ex-girlfriend walk in with her new boyfriend.

"I can't believe she's here, why does she have to ruin this night," I groan.

y/n looks back and shakes her head, "don't worry about her Glick, it's her loss when she cheated on you. I never liked her anyway."

It was true that y/n had never liked my ex, claiming she was too needy and demanding which was true but at the time I thought she was the one for me. y/n always made an excuse to leave the apartment when she would come over, going to hang out with her cousin Maxi.

"Shit, she's coming this way y/n."

y/n reaches her hand out and holds mine which was on top of the table, she squeezes it and smiles at me, "ignore her Glick, you're here with me having a good time, nothing's going to spoil our date...I mean dinner..."

I lock eyes with y/n who blushes furiously and removes her hand from mine, but I take a hold of hers keeping her in place, "did you just call this a date y/n?"

She chews her lip, "I meant to say dinner, you know two friends hanging out making fun of couples and love."

I was never going to hear the end of this when I went to work tomorrow, and neither was y/n since we were on the same shift as she too was also a lifeguard. But I was thrilled she called this a date.

"I wouldn't mind calling it a date y/n, only if you want to that is..."I pause.

She nods her head, "I would like that a lot Glick, look at us becoming another cliché."

My ex comes to the table trying to show off her new boyfriend, but I was too invested in y/n to even bother to care. After a couple of minutes, the two of them storm off leaving y/n and me to continue our date.

~Next Day~

Y/N

When you and Glick got back to the apartment last night you kissed and ended up in bed together. Turned out our feelings for one another were mutual, and now we had come clean to one another we could actually call ourselves a couple which was scary but nice at the same time.

Glick walks into the lifeguard tower ahead of you for the morning meeting, as we both didn't know how to tell the other lifeguards we were now boyfriend and girlfriend. But as soon as you walk into the tower and stand next to Glick ready to listen to Hoppo bark his orders everyone turns their attention to us.

"So what happened last night?" Harries enquires, nosey as ever.

"We can show you instead Harries," Glick speaks up, and next thing you know he dips you back like in the movies and kisses you in front of everyone including your cousin Maxi.

The lifeguards burst into cheers and congratulations, happy that the two of us had finally come clean and admitted our feelings for one another.

"Now there shouldn't be any more sexual tension," Yatesy blurts out.

You give him the finger and Glick laughs before wrapping an arm around you. The two of us were never going to live this down and you wouldn't have it any other way because the two of you were finally happy together.