Jake

JAKE

Today had been one of those days at work where you were consistently doing something without being able to take a well-deserved break. Rescue after rescue took place in one rip, and I found myself rescuing the same people over and over again which annoyed me because each time I told them to swim between the flags where it was safe they would ignore me and fall into the same rip. Then when I did my shift in the tower blue bottles decided to invade and I was stuck dealing with crying children and clingy parents judging me because their child wouldn't stop crying after I sprayed and iced their sting. Today was one of those days where you started to lose faith in humanity.

I open the door to the apartment I share with my girlfriend y/n, drop my bag on the floor and stomp into the living room ready to rant and unload my bad day on her. But I stop in my tracks upon seeing y/n lying on the sofa with her back to me holding our new kitten up in the air.

"If you're happy and you know it say meow!" She says in a sing-song voice, before squealing in delight when the kitten meows back.

"If you're happy and-"

"You're adorable y/n" I interrupt, and walk over to the sofa wearing my first genuine smile of the day.

y/n pouts, "no I'm not."

"I just walked in on you singing to the kitten 'if you're happy and you know it say meow!' And then you got excited when he meowed and started singing again," I reply, chuckling under my breath.

y/n cuddles the new addition to our little family, "rough day at work?"

It was like y/n could see past my charade, they always could which made me love them even more than I already did, "really rough, tested my faith in humanity, but then I get to come home to you two and it restores my faith in humanity."

y/n smiles and puts the kitten down on the sofa before sitting upright, "well I'm happy I can brighten your mood, Jake. Now kiss me for all the hard work I seem to do for you without me even knowing."

I sit down next to them and cup their chin in my hand before leaning down to kiss them. y/n kisses me back, and we enjoy the sweet moment before I feel a small paw swatting my cheek. I pull back and pick up our little bundle of joy, "don't worry, mummy and daddy will shower you with lots of attention."

The kitten meows and y/n giggles, two sounds worth coming home to after a long shift on the beach. Whenever tourists got into trouble or toddlers got stung or lost their parents, I would picture y/n singing to our kitten and feel a lot better about myself and the world around me.