summer night

Summary: It's a warm summer's night, and Dan finds Phil on the balcony.

TRIGGER WARNINGS: none

Dan couldn't sleep.

He kept tossing and turning in his bed until his sheets were tangled so intricately around his restless body that should he attempt to move anymore, he would surely get stuck in that form forever. His curly locks stuck to his flushed cheeks and forehead, and he tore a hand through his hair, huffing quietly in frustration.

"God dammit." He muttered.

His insomnia had decided to strike again. Unconsciousness kept evading him, and the increasingly warm temperature was only an underlying reason for it. It was such a warm summer night that their air conditioner was doing little to combat it. Occasionally puffs of cool bursts would fan over his sharp cheekbones and caress his slightly damp skin, but for the most part, he was left to twist and twist and twist in the heat until he was a human pretzel.

He nibbled on his bottom lip, squinting at the cieling through the dark.

He didn't like being alone and unable to sleep. It gave him way too much time to think, to allow his imagination to run wild with terrifying images and anxious thoughts, paranoia coiling in his stomach and making him nauseous. Sometimes his thoughts were just plain weird, other times disturbing, odd, and on certain occasions, completely occupied and addicted to a particular dark haired man.

He shook his head.

He couldn't clear the unease, and the alertness prying his eyes open from his mind. And it only made him all the more irritated, his loneliness swelling almost painfully in his chest.

How unfortunate that he should be so introverted and anxious, yet also long for the presence of another at times like these.

Giving up completely, he untangled himself from his think blankets, kicking them away and rolling off of the soft mattress.

He rubbed his face, humming lowly before leaving his bedroom, his clumsy feet padding down the empty hall.

He decided, he might as well try to enjoy the night. He could study the stars from the balcony until his lashes began to dip. He didn't know if it would happen any time soon. His insomnia was just as unpredictable as it always had been. But at this point, he didn't have any other options that were appealing to him.

He sighed, chest heaving slightly, and made his way towards the glass doors, sliding it out of the way as the almost purple sky came into sight, the white railing and cool concrete providing a gorgeous view.

But as he stepped out of the house, he found that the sky was not the only view to marvel at.

There, sitting on the ground, chin tilted up, gaze flitting over his surroundings with a lazy kind of wonder that left Dan breathless, was Phil.

Prettier and prettier every time he looked at him.

His eyes were heavily lidded. Thick, dark lashes fluttering over blushing cheeks, like roses flourishing beneath his sugar white skin, seamless and so soft that he could barely resist the urge to let his fingers trail over every inch, wonder if they would leave an imprint over that expanse of snowy skies. His doe like eyes were beacons in the dark. They shined, those pools of hushing, ocean waves decorated with flecks of green and yellow, glowing under the silver light. The moonshine seemed to pool in his exposed collarbones and in the crevices of his skin. His silky, midnight black hair was tousled and unkempt, laced through with the pale rays of the constellations above, and his fingers were wrapped around a bottle of sparkling champagne. He raised it to his supple, pink lips, tipping it back and swallowing the liquid slowly, savoring the twinge of its sweet taste, and licking away the residue carefully, as though already knowing he were being watched. But observing the way he flinched when Dan settled down beside him, leaning back against the wall and taking it from him to have a sip of his own, he could assume he hadn't.