Chapter Fifty two

Jumoke

The day of the elimination exam for the English Language competition came.

We were all inside the navy blue school bus waiting for Mrs Mullins to come so we could leave.

The venue of the competition was in Maryland, the competition was start by 12:00am prompt. We must be there latest 11:30am or we will be disqualified.

We were inside the bus chatting away. I sat in the second row beside the window, two other girls sat in the seat with me. Their names were Fatima and Juliet.

We were twelve: Me, Henry and Kunle from Science class, Jerome, Clinton and Fatima from Commercial class, Leon, Ikechukwu and Kelechi from Technical class, Juliet, Simi and Folake from Arts class.

The seat could contain four people but we sat three in a seat. There were four rows.
Jerome and his friends sat in the last seat. Henry sat behind me.

Later Mrs Mullins came to join us and the school driver drove out of the school premises onto the road.

Today's Tuesday, the traffic wasn't be as bad as Monday traffic but there was slight traffic.

"It's how we can going to sit down in the bus till we get there?" Kunle asked.

Really, the ride was boring because nobody was talking.

We started a game of question and answer game till we arrived at the venue.

School buses were parked in the compound, I could even see danfos. The driver found an empty space and parked.

We all got down and started stretching.

"Let's go in." Mrs Mullins instructed and we followed her.

"Good morning." Mrs Mullins greeted one of the women. The three women sat behind their desks with papers on them.
The registration room was painted cream with cream tiles.

"Good morning ma. What school is this?" She asked with a smile.

"Crystal High School."

"Okay. Ma,'am write your name there, " she pointed to the next desk, "Kids, write your name here."

We formed a straight line and wrote our names, ages, school, phone numbers and email address.

"Go here." She pointed to the other desk.

The woman at the desk gave us each an ID card which we hung over our neck.
On the ID card was  name, school and a number.
We all had scattered numbers meaning we wouldn't sit together.

"Remember it's a CBT. Good luck." The woman distributing the ID cards gave us a smile.

Another school came into the registration room as we took the stairs.

Upstairs, we went into a large hall were students and the teachers sat. Some students were already in the hall. From the look of the things, we were quite early.

A female usher directed us to our seats.
These people are so organized.

The place was becoming boring and we were tired of seating. Mrs Mullins started telling us to read the instructions before we start answering the questions and we should not waste time on the ones we didn't know.

More schools started coming into the hall. The hall became full.

Later, a white man climbed the podium.

"Good morning students." The white man greeted. His British accent was so thick I prayed I would hear what he has to say.

"Good morning sir."